• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Grand Prix clunking sound in front end

I just bought a 01 grand prix with 206k for a work car, the car runs great except when i hit a small pothole or crack in the road there is a clunk sound every time. Would that be the suspension, or what? I can feel every crack on the road when I drive over them, seems like its all in the front end though, i was thinking maybe it needs new shocks, but not really sure what the issue is. I dont want to put too much money in a cheap car, so im hoping its nothing major, and maybe I can just drive it like it is if its a costly repair. any thoughts?

Check the tire pressure. They should be at 30 psi not 42 psi or whatever it says on the tires.

Check the stabilizer links to see if they are broken. Check the stabalizer bat near the links to see if it is broken.

Check the round bushings in the lower control arms to see if they're are seperated. The lower control arm will drop down and hit the subframe if they are really bad.

Jack up the car by the pinch weld or subframe, not under the control arm, and check for loose ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings.

All of the above are normal and you should find at least one of them bad.

What happends is you loose oil and well becomes a inch or more of slack in the strut where there is no resistance. You hit a bumb and bam you get that jerk and it makes a clunking sound. I did mine myself. Costed me 140. Not sure what you'd be looking at for a shop to change them out.