• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda owners

98prosport

Looking for some that are running the Honda 90hp/carberated. Mine (1997,very low hours)(running a 17' lund) idles just fine, but on fast acceleration it boggs out. After sitting and fishing for a while I have to pump up the squeeze ball and then it takes off better, but still not great. maybe it's not the motor problem but a fuel delivery problem? just thought I would see if other hondas have acted this way. any input from all will be appreciated. thanks.

I've got the same motor, only a '98 version. I've had the same issue and the dealer (Pierz Marine) told me to start off slowly and when the RPM is around 2000 I can hit it with W.O.T. At that point it doesn't bog down. Seems to meet my needs and I can pull the kids on a tube without any problems as long as I wait to approach 2000RPM's. Hope that helps, I don't know if anything else can be done.

No, I haven't replaced it yet, I know I do have very low hours on the motor as I don't do a lot of trolling with it as I use the electric usually, Thanks for mentioning the timing belt, I'll have to remember that.

I have pretty much the same boat/motor as you 2001 17 Pro Sport with a 2000 90 4 stroke and mine bogs down as well, but usually mostly at the start of the day. I prime the bulb only when launching and it's good for the rest of the day. Seems like almost all the time mine won't start w/o excessive choke and I also have a ticking sound from my engine, do you have these symptoms too? I run Seafoam or Marine Stabil in mine which seems to help a little.

Changed my fuel filter and new plugs recently but the bogging at first launch continues.

I have no engine ticking noise. Last year I went thru my carbs. I purchased the parts,which cost way more than I thought they should, and did it myself. I did it because I had a dead miss at idle on no.3 cyl. That solved the problem. This is actually my second Honda 90hp. The 1st was almost identical set up and that one had very similar bogging issues. I was out last night and what I am thinking is that for whatever reason. my primer bulb is loosing it's prime. I like to power load back on to my trailer, and if I don't pump that bulb hard good it will not go up the trailer, but as soon as I do that, up it goes. One day last week, with the boat in my garage, I disconnected the fuel line and primed the line real dood. It held all day. and then I pushed the pin in on the motor side of the gas inlet and there was pressure there too. So, at this point I am at a loss. My next step is going to replace the fuel connectors. Maybe I am loosing pressure there? Sorry for the long rambling on here, but if we can find solutions here it would be great.

I will give you an update. I replaced the fuel line (with primer). I got the OEM Honda part. The original connection was always kind of loose. The new one comes with both the line connector(female) and the motor end (male). It is different in design and it fits much tighter. I took the boat out on the water last night and so far I believe it made a nice improvement. but we will see how things go as I was not out for very long. I had to get the part from the Honda dealer.

I paid 50 and change. Installed myself, not difficult. I was going to buy online but when I checked the prices, the dealer was actually less. but I would not buy aftermarket. Get the OEM.