• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Favorite Flathead Spot

DTro

No not really my favorite "spot". Actually I don't have a favorite spot as locations change from year to year on the MN, perhaps instead I should title it, "the favorite place to put my bait in hopes of catching a flathead".

I'm asked all the time for tips on locations to find flatheads, and honestly there is just no way to describe in words what we look for. But, as we drive by a spot we all look at each other and nod our heads. I can't explain what the spot looks like, but it's weird, you just get a feeling.

Anyways, I post quite a bit about fishing seams and current breaks. IMO, these are very important in finding fish, especially in the springtime prespawn bite.

So instead of trying to put it in words, I took a picture the other night.

full-105-19909-012.jpg

I was thinking this year that I should take some pictures of good flattie spots....like you mention dtro, it's not that specific spot, like its enchanted or something, it's the combination of factors that tell you its good flathead water.

I'm guessing there is really no clear answer to the following question but I will shoot anyways.

I'm very new to the flathead addiction and am trying to figure out how patient I need to be at each spot. Example from two nights ago. We set up and had 3 solid runs. Almost clockwork every 35 minutes. After that not a click for about 2 hours before we left. How long do you guys give a spot before moving on? Do you typically park on 1 spot and stay for the night?

I realize MANY variables go into this but I'm just wondering if anybody has a rule of thumb so to speak?

Oh and dtro I'll be sure to put that spot into the GPS grin

There are many factors, to me I usually just has to have to have the feeling this is the spot, in order for me to sit for more then an hour. I usually try new spots quite often, 3-4 per trip, i give those new spots 30 minutes, then if I catch a big one, it gets moved up to one of the better feeling spots. if I fish it, and my line starts moving one direction, then swings back the other way from the current, I tend to not come back to it for a while.

As much as the water depth, and current changes, a spot that looks good today, may not look good next week, or visa versa.

A lot of it will actually depend on how my attitude is prior to landing the boat, if I am just looking for a relaxing evening, I may hit one feels good spot, and sit there and chill all evening. Or I may feel anxious and impatient, and hit a new spot every 20 minutes. I think it is a mixture of the 2, and I think it is more important to have fun and enjoy yourself, which will make you want to be on the water more, which will catch you more fish. If you are bored sitting at one spot, move, if you dont feel like moving, and your in good company, having a good time, dont move, sit still and have a good time.

When to move to another spot? Good question. All depends on how the Twins are doing. The 7th inning stretch is always a good time. The way they are playing lately - I move during every pitching change - which is about every 30 minutes.

Question for you. Do you look for other structure nearby/adjacent to the break to hold fish that aren't actively feeding (like those stumps near shore), or do you just fish any really defined current seam? Thanks for the excellent info!

I love fishing the snags the narlier the better. I really like it when a snag has a inside and a outside current seam off of them also.

I like to park the boat 1 to 2 boat lenght away from the snag and drop it back about half way between the boat and the snag and alot of times the rod is in the holder for just a couple of minuets then the clicker sings and it desision time take it or wait a second I usually take it so the fish doesnt get back into the snag. You will lose a few this way but its a rush when you hook up.

Gordie, by inside and outside, do you mean three separate speeds of current? Or just slow current in front of/around the snag and then faster current on either side? Do most of you guys fish away from a snag or right up in it? Is there any rule (weather/current/time/what have you) for how close you want your bait to get to the snags?

Inside meaning the water between the the snag and shor outside meaning the current break on the outside of the snag . I have fished right in them to a couple boat lengths in front and even up to fifty yards in front of them but that usually means debris under water in front of the snag .

When it's really hot outside I will fish really close to in them and this time of year I like to fish 1-2 boat lengths away from them unless like I said about underwater debris.