• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propeller Vent holes

BPBOB

Considering increasing prop vent hole size(per prop pro) to increase RPM's for holeshot when boat is loaded heavy-anyone with experience good/bad regarding this topic? It's a SS performance prop with factory vent holes.

4 stroke yamaha 115

Prop currently at WOT 6000RPM -right on the money.

Thanks in advance

I have had issues with my hole shot and trimming off and sent a prop in to Soderblooms to have it repitched to a pitch I thought would help my bottom end and not lose to much on the top end.

Jay at Soderblooms thought putting vent holes in my prop would help with that along with a pitch change.

Went to the lake the other day and I have a considerable increase in my hole shot and it trim's off much faster but, I did lose about 2mph on my top end. I did gain about 150 rpm's or so with this switch. My max rpms is suppose to be 6,000 and I was running about 5,800. Now bumping 6,000 but I do not have it all the way to WOT. Had to stop the throttle so I would not go over the recomended rpm's but thats ok for the gains in the bottom end.

Very happy with the results.

Unless you have already talked to jay at Soderbloom's, give him a call as he know's what's up with props.

If you currently run WOT at 6000 RPM, increasing the vent holes will put you over the rev limiter--not good. You will constantly have to monitor your rpm.

If you're currently running 6K rpm, you might need a bigger pitch then drill extra holes to compensate.

Do the vent holes have plastic plugs? If so you can experiment with removing them one at a time to fine tune the spin-up on the hole shot. I run a Tempest Plus with that feature and it worked pretty slick. The motor breaks loose while planing out then holds firm while running. If you take out too much plug area you get blowout.

In most cases, vent holes have little effect at wot. They come into play more so in helping with the hole shot. To say they won't effect things at wot, is not what I'm trying to say.

How much throttle would you say you have left? It would be interesting to see just how high it will go. Then give jay a call

In most cases, vent holes have little effect at wot. They come into play more so in helping with the hole shot. To say they won't effect things at wot, is not what I'm trying to say.

How much throttle would you say you have left? It would be interesting to see just how high it will go. Then give jay a call

Having too big of a vent hole with a smaller pitch size prop can cause prop slip. Seems like the motor is already 6k rpm at wot so opening the vents may get it to 6k rpm before boat planes. I run a 27p with 4 vents, sometimes rev limiter alarm goes off before boat planes on take off/holeshot, so often I ease off on the gas. Had to jump up a pitch, 28p with 8 vent holes. Each boat/hull is different I'm not saying it will act like mine.

To answer the original question. Yes, vent holes will help holeshot.