• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

transition areas.

smalliehunter

i wouldnt say they always "hold" in those areas, but they may use them a lot. its an edge, just like a weedline is, but a little different. Best way to find them is to look on shore. If it changes there, odds are it changes in water too

I would say its a good spot to check. I have a spot that goes from sand to rip rap and it always seems to hold fish. Transition areas seem to bunch the fish up sort of a "spot on the spot" as the pros would say. Like the others have said watch the shore line and if you dont see the transitions on shore drag around a caolina rig or heavy jig you will be able to feel when the bottom changes.

Transitions are key on rivers.

Sand to riprap, Sand to chunk rock, Riprap to vertical rock faces, riprap to big chunk rock.

How do you target these areas and what range around the trasnistion do you usually find to be good?

A key transition I target on rivers are areas where you have a 30 to 60 degree sloped slab/chunk/large rock bank that becomes a 90 degree sheer rock face.

If the sheer rock face is undercut so it hangs out over the water surface even better.

You can fish Sand to riprap, Sand to chunk rock, Riprap to vertical rock faces, riprap to big chunk rock areas with many different lures.

On rivers like the Mississippi, I use crankbaits 90% of the time in the summer.

If you have a long stretch of riprap bank that looks the same, you need to find the spots where there is one or two big rocks sticking out just a bit further from the bank.

The key is to find something that looks different than the rest of the cover.

A single large slab or chunk of rock 3 or 4 feet off the main slab/chunk rock bank will attract fish.

When you have a decent amount of current along a stretch of riprap bank, particularly if it is on an outside bend, Smallmouth will be holding tight to the bank. So any areas where the riprap extends a couple feet further from the bank will create a current break and give the fish an ambush spot.