• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good cheaper trail camera recommendation

Looking for some opinions on cheaper trail cameras (flash or IR) I have about 15 now but many of them are old models no longer available or newer ones I just not impressed with. I want to pick up couple more this year and not sure what to get don't want to spend more than $150 or so, I don't need anything really fancy just solid nice day/night pics, size, batt life etc not big focus.

Thanks

I bought a couple of the Primos 46IR's last fall at Wally world. They had them on sale for $100. They were ok. I have to play with them a little more. One thing about them if you do get them however, is to turn down the sensitivity if you have them anywhere near a field edge or where blowing grass/branches are in the picture. The first time I set mine, it filled up a 2GB card in about a day and a half because it was windy. I turned down the sensitivity and that problem was solved. Overall, I guess I would rather have a bunch of these than one Reconyx.

I'm running the cheap Moultries with IR flash and they do a decent job for $100. Trigger speed is too slow for deer as I get alot of rear end shots, although they work great for bear and take decent short videos. Battery life is great but they are HUGE comapaired to the newer models.

I just went out and looked and they are the Game Spy I-60

I have a couple like Johnny P and they have worked well. I also tried a Moultrie M-80 last year. You can find them on e b a y for just over a $100. Runs on AA batteries and will last a long time. I had mine out from last may thru december and still had 30% battery life left. Takes great daytime pics and the night pics are brighter then any I have seen for an IR. The trigger speed is not half bad either. Got a good review on chasing game. My wife got me the M-100 for xmas and have had that out for a couple of months, so far so good.

Moultrie ir 55's work great with a food source or salt block. Great daylight pics. Nighttime are mediocre. I have six and have zero issues with them. Good battery life. 6 C batteries are good for a few months for me. Ran them from july through full-18444-19907-shooter.jpg

full-18444-19908-pict0015.jpg

November.

I dont have one an want one is the bushnell trophy cam, guys here have very good things to say about them an battry life is awsome on 4 AA's right now i have a supply catalog that has them on sale for 130 to 149 depending on with model.

But doing good with the primos 46 which isnt all that great with batteries, got a moultrie D55 an have had good luck with but my best cam is the moultril 6.0 not bad battry life good pics, spendy tho, but i got mine in the bargan cave for a hundy less than retail. A moultrie 5.0 flahs is a great cam but tough on batts. cause of flash.

I have several moultrie flash d5s but can't get anymore and newer replacement model is smaller better looking but doesn't work as well. Hard to find flash cameras I just like night pics better only benifit to IR batt life and not worried about that so much.

I got two of the wildgame micro 4 models 50$ each on sale normally 75$ the day pics solid night look fair they have flash version gona try too be better for night see like nice little cameras cheap.

I would highly recommend the spypoints sold by gander mountain. They are great quality and have a good model for $100. The Spypoint 4mp I have takes great pictures and runs off of AA batteries. The battery life is great and lasted me 2 months and still had half the battery life when I changed them.

I have also owned the bushnell trophy cam and it is a good camera but in my opinion was exactly the same as the spypoint for more money.

I like my Moultrie IR 4.0's and I have 3 of them.

I think a 4Mp is all you really need if you can still find them. The pictures are plenty clear and you can still blow them up on a computer if you need to look more closely at them. Anything over a 4Mp is kind of overkill IMO.

I have a Wildgame Inovations IR 6 and love it. Its small like the bushnell and runs on 8 AA's bought it for 120 and havent had any issues with it.

I also have the Wildgame Innovations IR 6 and haven't had any problems with it. The camera takes decent pictures, definetly a good choice for the money!