• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer bearing replacement? Shops?

TurnUpTheFishing

Question

So I pulled the bearings on the trailer to grease them and found one to have water in the hub when I took it apart, the grease had rust residue and the bearing itself doesn't look too good. How labor intensive is it to change the bearings? Do I need special tools to get the back bearing out of the hub? What parts would I need exactly and how do I know what sizes to get?

Im considering taking it to a marine shop to have the work done, does anyone know what kind of price I should be quoted or have any recommendations?

Lots of questions I know hopefully someone can answer.

14 answers to this question

Pull the seal with a large screwdriver and the rear bearing will fall out. The race is what you need to remove and all you really need is a flat punch and a hammer. Just work your way around the race tapping it out. Same goes for the outer race. You can then use the old race to tap the new ones in and use the punch to tap them the rest of the way. Just make sure you keep the punch flat on the race for not to damage them. Replace the bearings too. So you need to buy inner,outer bearings and races and a rear seal.

Northern tool sells complete hub assembly's for fairly cheap. I think I paid $24 each. Has all the seals, bearings, etc. Just remove existing, clean up the spindle. And reassemble with all new parts. Unless your spindle is in really bad shape it shouldn't be too hard.

It's a pretty easy task. I rebuild mine at least once a year. Just make sure your spindle is still in good shape. Be sure to pack new bearings and to fill your hub with a good marine greese. Like said above, use the old race to help get the new ones into place.

I live close to a Napa and have their shop press in the races. $10, they are done in a flash, and I'm confident that they are seated securely.

Just throwing out another option.

+1 for northern tool, re- did an old trailer three times, got tired of doing that so we swapped the whole deal out and am very impressed with the swap and the fact if are we going to blow a bearing is out the window. Pretty cheap for the whole axle hub and all that goes with it $150.

northern tool hub assebly with the greaser on the back of the hub...no need for bearing buddies and it is easy as can be to pump grease in until it comes out the front...

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will try doing it myself from what I've read and heard from a coworker it doesn't sound too much harder then the regreasing process.

Anyone else have opinions on northern tool parts? If not there where would one get "good" bearings/parts?

I have used northerns hub assemblies in the past and they have always done the job. I pull my boat alot and have had no issue with the hub assemblies from northern...if you are just getting new bearings then you could pick those up at any auto parts store. Good Luck

I got all my stuff (racers, bearings, rear seals) at NAPA. Be sure to get the correct part #'s. (bring in the old bearing an old seal for the part #'s)

If you use regular caps, a mech told me to silicone the outside on the seal to help limit water seeping in.