• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mid size boat packages... Who's got the best? Tracker?

Pool_Eleven

I have been looking into getting a new boat this summer. I've been comparing boat brands all winter long and still havent settled on one. I do alot of catfishing, and quite a bit of bass fishing. Im looking at something in the 16 ft or slightly bigger range. Anything at least 16ft is enough for me,anything 17 feet or bigger is more than i need. At least a 82 in beam. I'd like a walk through windshield as well, even though it may take up more room. And at least a 50 horse motor. Ive been really looking into the tracker pro guide v-16 wt. So far i think its my best bet. Its got an all welded hull which i really like over rivets. Im just wondering if anybody else has bought a nice boat package recently or has any input or reccomendations on a good value package. Price range... 17,000 tops. Thanks for any input!

If you do a search here you will find that there is not a lot of love for Tracker boats. I have never owned one so I can't comment on the boat other than word of mouth.

Tracker claims they have changed how there boats are constructed and the fit and finish of there product. Tracker is seen by many as a "Starter" boat that our most often advertised with under powered motors on boat packages, poor trailers, and very poor finishes, IE, latches, guages, carpet, and wiring. Their boats are well known for very very poor customer service and non existent warranty support. Much of the warranty problems I have heard of deals with the facility managers doing poor work or doing what they can to avoid taking care of warrantied items.

A search of this site and a Google search will yield tons more information.

There are lots of boats that will meet your cost criteria by many different vendors. Choose what YOU like and what meets YOUR needs, if it's a Tracker, so be it. You are the one that needs to be happy with your choice.

Mike

I'd look at Alumacraft, Lund, Crestliner, Lowe or G3, we have a 05 Tracker all welded hull that split from bow to stern and took an act of congress to get fixed by Tracker...As already stated the fit and finish are poor at best.... My 1991 Skeeter is in far better shape than the 05 Tracker...Another option is an oldr glass rig, Skeeter S-135, S-1650, Tuffy Rampage or similar...

And thats why i love this forum! Sounds like tracker is out of the question. Thanks for all the input so far. I didnt realize that people had that many problems with tracker boats. The crestliner 1650 WT Fish Hawk was one i was pretty interested in too. So maybe that'll have to be the choice i go with.

Had a Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk for 10 years until I upgraded last year to a Crestliner Raptor. I have had Zero issues with Crestliner and that boat along with my new one are rock solid so I'm a little partial to Crestliner. I'm sure others will chime with the same for their Lund, Alumacraft, Lowe, G3, Smoker Craft and others.

All these IMO as others have said earlier would be money better spent. Good luck on your search, that can be frustrating yet fun.

Mike

Alumacraft Navigator or Competitor 165 is a great boat too. pick your own motor brand, and trailer! Your not stuck with a mercury like the crestliner. Motors are just as important as the boat. a good durable trailer wouldn't hurt either.

But i would say crestliner is a great boat also as stated above you cannot go wrong with either.

I have been looking into getting a new boat this summer. I've been comparing boat brands all winter long and still havent settled on one. I do alot of catfishing, and quite a bit of bass fishing. Im looking at something in the 16 ft or slightly bigger range. Anything at least 16ft is enough for me,anything 17 feet or bigger is more than i need. At least a 82 in beam. I'd like a walk through windshield as well, even though it may take up more room. And at least a 50 horse motor. Ive been really looking into the tracker pro guide v-16 wt. So far i think its my best bet. Its got an all welded hull which i really like over rivets. Im just wondering if anybody else has bought a nice boat package recently or has any input or reccomendations on a good value package. Price range... 17,000 tops. Thanks for any input!

check out the Alumacraft 1756 AW Tunnel CC since you do alot of cat fishing. get this prop tunnel and put on a jack plate on it and you would be good to go. the other model to check out is the 1656 G3 Gator tough jon with a 60/40 yamaha jet outboard. I know you want a 50HP or higher but this has the 60HP power head and puts out 40HP at the jet. this can be purchased for around $16000. the other G3 to look at is this same boat but in the 1860 size. this then jumps to a 90/60HP yahama jet outboard. this package comes in around $18000 so you are over your $17000 budget but the extra $1000 would pay for it's self in no time.

Check out the Lund Rebel 1625 XL Sport or the Impact 1675 Sport, put a 75hp on the back and you are set.

I picked up a new 2010 1725 Rebel XL Sport last year with a 90hp for under $20,000. With cover, sun top, 4 pro ride seats, and a bow mount trolling motor.

Lots of these 16' or so boats come in price point packages. Be sure you get at least 80% of the maximum hp and a decent trailer, along with comparing apples to apples on electronics, batteries, chargers, etc. Many times, companies/dealers will put too small of motor on the boat to maintain a certain price point. IMHO, can't go wrong with Lund, Alumacraft or Crestliner.

Those are some more great options as well. Brad, i looked into those jet outboards and G3 boats and was pretty interested in them since i fish the mississippi river the most. Right now i have a 1752 lowe mod v with a 50 horse on it and i like it but its not stable at all! IF someone sneezes u just about throw ur fishin buddy right out of the boat. But i love the stability and drivability of a deep V boat. So im leaning more towards that. Its tough and frustrating all at the same time to find a new boat but it sure is fun! Thanks for all the help and options.

I own an Alumacraft Trophy 175. This is my 2nd Trophy and I like it. I really like the walk through windshield because it keeps more spray off of you.

A friend of mine has a Tracker similiar to my Trophy and quite frankly I am pretty impressed with it. Good ride, plenty of protection from spray and an all around good boat. He has had some minor problems but who hasn't. I think several years ago Tracker decided to upgrade there line of boats and have working towards that.

With any boat there are going to be things that you would have done different but that will be your job to shop around and see what you like and can afford.

Mike