• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing northerns/walleye in a bass boat

slopmaster

I did some reading in the "poachers" thread and it made me think of a possible scenario that I would find myself in and wanted some feedback on it.

I got a bass boat last year and sometimes I worry that if i go out on walleye/northern opener to fish (i'm honestly targeting those species) and i'm in my bass boat i'm sure 99.99% of the people, including the dnr, is going to think i'm breaking the law by bass fishing. I'm not as worried about the walleye fishing if i'm using live bait, but what if i'm throwing a swimbait, shap rap, rattle trap, etc. Or i'm casting a spinnerbait for a northern so i can take it home and pickle it. Do you think I would be given a citation if i happened to catch a bass, or even just for throwing one of the following lures mentioned? Would you not go out in a bass boat "pre" bass season? I never worried about this when I had my 14ft lund because it "looked" like a walleye boat, but now that I have a bass boat I feel like people would "profile" and see the picture much differently. Personally i've already driven 5 hours to the MN/WI boarder just to bass fish for a day so fishing out of season isn't my intention. thoughts?

You should be fine fishing: it's not the boat it's the intent.

And info for those which it's an option (sorry this doesn't really help you slopmaster): if it is your first time buying a Wisconsin license the price will be $25.75 for a non-resident this year (as opposed to $50 normally), an option for those of you who want to fish bass sooner.

as long as you don't have bass in captivity I believe you would be fine. i fish for 2 weeks or whatever it is every year in my bass rig and not had a problem. I could see a problem if you were fishing bass and targeting bedding fish then a skilled eye would probably know what your up to. But it isnt illegal to throw certain lures. and if you happen to catch a bass oh well. Now if your on minnetonka on opener and your throwing a pound heavy bulldawg for muskies you may have a hard time explaining it away. but I say fish on. It comes down to your ethical beliefs. If your out casting northerns and only catching bass maybe you call it quits. but its your call. I think a lot of guys on this thread don't even think bass should close at all.

You'll be fine, they have to prove intent to as long as you don't keep a bass or tell them that you were fishing for bass, they won't bother you.

You may get harassed (not likely once Pike is open) but you won't get a ticket.

Profiling is wrong, but you will get looks when in your bass boat. Particularly when in water that looks like bass habitat, people will assume you are up to no good. I would stick with spinning rods, very limber, nothing more than 5 and a half feet in length to help dispel any notion of your intent of species targeted, use of live bait is advised with very small hooks and a large red and white plastic bobber, something just shy of softball size. (Side note - a lob cast is most effective, let the rod load sufficiently before executing). Also line diameter is critical, stiffer the better, it is best bought and found on the bottom shelf at a trgt or shpko sporting goods aisle, and conveniently shrink rapped for easy storage before spooling. You will know you have the right stuff based on the number of coils between rod tip and bite indicater. On a good long cast, it should number in the low hundreds, like a very long slinky floating on top of the water. Take the time to count, as it can be the difference between just a day on the water and a great day. If a sinker is found to be needed, to aid in casting distance, I would suggest a walking style, (lindy rig), it should be placed above the not before mentioned leader, preferably steel, however if you find the fish are finicky, a large test mono leader, (for stealth) is certainly the way to go, can be found in same aisle as shrink wrapped line, just look up and left.. A leader aids in changing lures frequently to get dialed in to that perfect color. These few tips should go a long ways in ensuring successful opener. I am here to help.

Now im no lawyer but i have gone through just a few law classes and are currently, and the burden of proof falls on the CO and the evidence they can collect(eg:what's in your livewell, and what are the open seasons, and what have YOU STATED) we all know that multiple species bite on the same presentations and a simple presentation choice is by no means going to break the rule of reasonable doubt, neither is your boat. Also your "intent" is not evidence unless you, as some on that poachers forum have stated, have made it clear by saying "im bass fishing for pike." confused Which is why your legal advise is always "don't talk to law enforcement if in trouble"

but anywho, you can't be cited for "intent," you can't be cited for a not-in-season fish biting a multi-species lure, you cannot be cited for the boat you own(assuming its legal and registered ect), you CAN be cited for a not-in-season fish in your live well. you CAN be sited for things you say to a CO, "i may be casting for pike but i hope a bass hits" if he subsequently sees you catch a bass, but like i said the burden of proof is on him and it is a fairly high burden if you fight it.

if while targeting legal species you are actually given a wrongful citation any lawyer, or for that matter any 3rd year(or higher) law student can represent you, and should be able to get you off no prob.

reasonable doubt is a pretty high burden given this scenario. But just cause a loophole in the law is there also doesn't mean the bassmasters around here should take it as time to go out and start castin. remember the season up here is to protect the species(eg: they tend to spawn later so let them spawn) cool2c

Hiya -

I fish out of a 'walleye boat' but I guarantee you I will get some looks opening weekend when I'm fishing walleyes, just because of what I'll be doing. I fish early season shallow, up in the weeds pitching 4 and 5" plastics on jigs, or crankbaits, including lipless cranks. I'm fishing walleyes, and only very occasionally catch bass doing it, but it looks an awful lot like fishing a jigworm unless you really watch what I'm doing carefully. I usually get some looks. Been checked by the CO a couple times, and usually just explain what I'm doing and why, and it's no problem.

RK

I fish Mille Lacs every year on opener in my bass boat. Usually dragging the sand or trolling rapalas at night. Not much question about intent while doing those things. The guys in walleye boats give me some dirty looks when the rods keep bending in my bass boat. grin

Last year, I had my son up there slipbobber fishing for walleyes. I pulled up to a reef looking for walleyes with leeches and bobbers. We immediately started to hammer smallies bobber fishing. I pulled anchor and went to another spot to avoid the bass and any questions from a CO that might have been watching. You are looked at different in a bassboat that's for sure.

Superduty your post made me laugh. around 15 years ago when I first moved to MN we were out on one of my then favorite akes fishing walleye in my bass boat. Like you we were on them (walleyes)doing pretty good. Several boats seen us catch a few. Pretty soon one comes closer and asks what I was using. Remember Im from the south, I say carolina rig and go about my business. Few mintute later he asks again, I show him. He goes OHHHH a lindy rig! I didnt know what a lindy rig was he didnt know what a caroilina rig was.

pretty sad that people profile you as fishing illegaly because of the boat you are in... but its the truth. Just because your species of choice is bass, and your boat is a "bass boat" doesnt mean you can only target that species. Really makes me sick to know people think like that. Go out on opener in your bass boat and hammer some walleyes. CO's cant do a thing about it as long as your livewell doesnt have bass in it. Also, for those walleye guys giving you dirty looks.... Just put your walleye on an "old school" stringer and slowly troll by them showing off your fish. They LOVE that.

If I seen you in a bass boat, before bass opener. The first thing id think of is, Man, I wish I had a bassboat. lol. After that, I would probably try to look closer to see what you are targeting, not assuming you were targeting bass. Its the same thing when I see a older model minivan with custom rims on it, I think to myself, I wonder if there is a hispanic driving it. I never assume though, just wonder. Make sense??