• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor cutting out

TyGuy02

Question

My minnkota PD2 55 w/ipilot keeps shutting off when I run it on 8-10 power for more than a minute. I switched boats this year, and this never happened to me last year. That is why I'm thinking it has something to do with wiring of the boat. Last year I had the TM hooked straight to a single deep-cycle, and this year its just to the three-pronged socket on the bow, with factory wiring to the battery (2 deep cycles in a 12-volt system). When it cuts out, it totally looses power for about 5-10 seconds, then I'm able to get it going with the remote again, just frustrating since I use the TM 100x more than the outboard.

Also, at other times it has a hard time keeping the gps signal. I noticed last year when it did that it was on a low battery, but the battery indicator was showing 2 or 3 bars yesterday when it was doing it. So I guess maybe it could be the batteries (1 new this year and the other new last year).

17 answers to this question

Is there a circuit breaker in the wiring for the trolling motor? If so, perhaps it is tripping. Is your new boat a bigger one? If so, that could explain the tripping.

I don't know what the current draw is on that motor at that power setting but pulling an 18' boat will put a pretty good load on it causing the motor to demand higher current causing the circuit breaker to trip. After a few minutes it will automatically reset and your good to go again until it trips again.

I'm using a 45# Powerdrive on my 16' Sylvan Adventurer with a 40A circuit breaker and if I'm running against a moderate wind at full power using the steering it will occasionally trip.

I Believe a PD 55 will draw 42 amps at high speed.

I would replace the circuit breaker with a 50 Amp Breaker.

Most likely you have a 40 amp breaker or less currently.

Also check for any corrossion that you may have

and repair/replace what is needed.

Before you go bumping up the circuit breaker size, first make sure you have the correct size wiring installed for the length of run you have to be able to use a 50 amp breaker. If the wire is too small and the breaker too big you could be looking at a fire if that wire starts melting and the breaker doesn't trip. It's very dangerous to just bump up a breaker size before doing some checking. The 40 amp breaker was installed for a reason, and most likely due to wire size.

Agreed. I would also consider replacing that motor with a 24v 80 pound thrust motor. 55 lb is not enough for a 18' boat, which is why you are having to run your motor at 8-10 power and are likely tripping the breaker. Go bigger, you won't regret it.

I Believe a PD 55 will draw 42 amps at high speed.

This will be dependent on the load. A heavier boat, high winds, extra riders and/or gear,....will all add load. As the load increases the motor will demand higher current. If the motor is rated at 42A FLA, that is what it will draw at its "rated" full load but it can draw more if the load exceeds the motor's rated amount.

the wife will definitely not approve an upgrade of the TM! $900 last year was enough for a decade plus before spending is approved for that. The boat is 18', but it's a light 18' if that makes any sense. I will do some checking on the gauge wire from the batteries to the plug in though. I guess if I need to change out the wiring to a larger gauge I could get that done in the next 9 days.

If your motor does not kick out at lower speeds you probably need to go to a 50 amp. breaker.

Your problem may be the battery in the remote if it kicks out at all speeds.

I agree that an 80# thrust would be better suited for an 18' boat, unless it is a bare bones fishing boat with no deck etc.

Cliff

i'm sure an 80 would work better, but I don't have much of a problem with my 55 on my 17.5 alumacraft with a side console, deck, storage, etc. then again I had a 28 on there from the early 80s so i'm pretty pleased with anything that can overpower a 5mph breeze.

thanks for the input. I upgraded to a 50 amp breaker. The factory wiring is only 10 gauge, but so is the factory wiring for the trolling motor, so I guess if 10 gauge is enough for the TM, it should be enough for the boat wiring as well. For the weight of the boat, its not bare bones, but tiller with small livewell, minimal storage areas. The TM can get the boat up to 2.5 mph, so I don't feel that I need bigger, since if I need to go faster than that I'm in trouble.