• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State Record?

I've caught the state record rock bass like 8 times lol (but not really). But keeping it isn't what counts. The fact you caught a sweet fish is what matters. Thanks for letting that big ugly girl live and reproduce to pass on those good genes.

I caught this fish on the Mississippi this evening and I think it is a Northern Hogsucker. It was 17 inches long, and if it is a Hogsucker I beat the length of the state record by 2 3/4 inches. Is this a Northern Hogsucker?

6968546096_8ca6ce83ab.jpg

You'd sure have my vote that is a Northern Hogsucker. Congrats!

I did a Google image search on northern hogsuckers and they all look like that but there is quite a variety of different colors and stripe patterns. I caught a couple this year in the upper Turkey River (northeast IA) and they were almost black (spawning colors?). Very strange looking fish!

Yes that is a hogsucker.

Length and girth is what matters. It is a nice Hog bu the State record is tubby and you did the right thing by releasing it. I was with a friend when he caught one that was the same as the record on my scale and we were happy to take some pics and watch it swim away. A name in the books is not everything and it is much sweeter when you catch the fish while targeting them.

On the ID the black "Lipstick" is the give away.