• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Might have Found a new Muskie Lake Close to Home

Nolan

The lake looks great, but the fact is if you get to know just about any lake; its great. And as far as rod length, In recent years, longer rods have been the trend, and rightfully so... Cast further, better figure 8's.

Ive fished that lake and bartman is RIGHT on the mark the first time I fished it there was so much algae on the ramp that a guy with a new silverado pickup with the sticker still on the window couldnt get up the boat ramp because it was so slippery,,,I had to pull him up with my truck

very very dark water,,floating bogs and I think its one of the tiger lakes that is now discontinued

if your by young america your just up the rd from waconia

Everyone will give you there opinions, (I personally haven't fished eagle yet) but remember take the time to fish it yourself too.

Odds are its a mucky swamp given the depht and my experience with similiar lakes, but it could be an awesome lake that others are trying to steer you away from wink

A shallow bowl like that will probably have the best fishing right off the bat and get worse as its gets further into the season

I always meant to try this lake as well, but always seem to find my way on other lakes in the area. As already noted the longer the rod the better for figure 8's and casting. I just picked up a 9' rod yesterday and can't wait to get out in June.

I have never fished that lake and it really wouldnt interest me much because it is pretty much devoid of any structure so it would be very boring.

I will comment on your rod question though. The answer is depends. What type of lures are you predominantly going to throw? If you are working topwater (except walk the dog type) and bucktails, definitely an 8 footer is way better.

If you are going to use jerbaits and walk the dog topwater, I prefer a little bit shorter rod with a good backbone.

Not sure how much you are willing to spend, but tackle industries makes a very nice product for a good price. Quality on par with the big names, but 1/3 to 1/4 the cost.

theres some decent tigers in eagle but the fact is the dnr is phazing out tigers. It wont be long untill they stop breeding tigers in general. So if your a tiger muskie fan or hell a muskie fan in general voice your opinion on tiger stocking. I personally think the dnr should stock tigers in every metro lake. I mean then theyed be worth somthing then. However eagle is and always has been a low density tiger lake. On the bright side, Slimey green waters, skunky smelling pea soup waters have nothing to do with muskies biting, ecspecially tigeres, in fact 2 of the best muskie lakes i fished had this phenomia. Tigers are very aggresive and can see your rigs just fing in green waters. Give er hell

Ive fished that lake and bartman is RIGHT on the mark the first time I fished it there was so much algae on the ramp that a guy with a new silverado pickup with the sticker still on the window couldnt get up the boat ramp because it was so slippery,,,I had to pull him up with my truck

very very dark water,,floating bogs and I think its one of the tiger lakes that is now discontinued

if your by young america your just up the rd from waconia

Id fish it over waconia anyday. Waconia is bar none thee most overfished lake ive ever seen. Also The milfoil is odd. Very very odd.

I use regular sized muskie gear alot and it tends ta work but alot of bass or pike tackle would work aswell. There isint much structure in the lake so you could easily throw or troll mid sizes spinnerbaits over whe weeds. Tigers can be aggressive so dont be afraid to troll fast or retreive fast. Minnow baits like shalow raiders, rattlin rapalas, are also great baits