• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brook Trout... what to use for flyfishing in SE MN

Laska

Hey guys, I've been flyfishing for 5years now and haven't had the oppurtunity to catch a brook trout. I'm a fish carver for competition and I have personal references for every other fish except Brookies, and I need some tips on streams and fly patterns to use to catch them in SE MN, I'm puting in a lot of time on just catching them this year for photos only- just can't see myself panfrying such a beautiful fish. If anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appriciated!

IMO, not the flies but the location. Brook trout take just about any fly,

just need to find the trout. PM me and I could help you with that.

This.

When you find a stream that has them, brookies are easy to catch.

Tried upper dushcee* no brooks caught,tried garvin brook upper no brooks tried beaver creek no brooks, and all where the upper 3rd of the creeks, all I caught were rainbows and browns... they are still eluding me!

Tried upper dushcee* no brooks caught,tried garvin brook upper no brooks tried beaver creek no brooks, and all where the upper 3rd of the creeks, all I caught were rainbows and browns... they are still eluding me!

Gribben Creek and Torkelson Creek, both in Fillmore County, are two other streams that are supposed to have brook trout in them. I've fished both for years and have yet to catch a brookie in either.

I've caught them in Mill Creek right in Chatfield, although not many. I know for a fact that they dumped a pile of them in the South Branch of the Root River upstream of Forestville State Park. If you park at the bridge on county 5 and walk upstream they are in there pretty thick