• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arrows/broadheads for black bears

jay83196

Just curious on some opinions from guys that have some experience with bows and bears, what is best to use for broadheads. Ive heard mixed info from various pro shops, maybe it doesn't matter or differ from whitetail. I shoot a mathews 70# currently with light beaman carbon arrows and montech 100gr fixed blades. I want to use what works best fixed or mechanical and why they would be best.

Thanks

+3...Use the same set-up you use for other big game...if it aint' broke, don't fix it...The only thing you need to change when drawing down on a big boar vs a whitetail is your shorts! grin And always remember to wear your brown pants!

My concern is I run very light carbon arrows with smaller broadheads so I get a faster flatter shot for longer distances, I wont need that so I'm leaning toward a heavier arrow with bigger cutting dia be better? Id gain kanetic energy more penetration bigger hole...

jay,

i think everything boils down to shot placement. I by no means am a bear expert, last year was my first hunt. It only took an hour for the bear to come in. I shot it with a 12 year old golden eagle set at 52 pounds with a 100 grain muzzy fixed broadhead, the bear retired after a short 50 yds.

The nice thing about bear hunting is you can control for the most part shot distance. We set up our baits at 15 yds and only sat 10 feet off the ground. For anyone who practices much that is pretty much a chip shot.

That being said I think you will enjoy shooting it with your bow and the broadhead choice isn't all that important IMO. Just like whitetail, shot placement is always the most important thing.

I've shot numerous black bears with my bow. Like others have said if you put an arrow in the vitals, any whitetail setup will work. If you get nervous and pull the shot or the bear takes a step at the wrong time having a heavy setup with a good penetrating fixed tip helps put the animal in the freezer. Bears bone and muscle structure are tons heavier than the average whitetail. I shoot a 540 grain arrow at 290fps. I botched the shot on a 250# boar and still got enough penetration through the shoulder blade for a quick kill and short blood trail. I also spined another bear and dropped him in his tracks. When shooting over a bait at a fixed distance a light fast setup doesn't buy you much, a heavy setup buy you extra penetration if something goes wrong.

I agree with most of the above statements. The group I hunt with all bow hunt except our wives. I have shot or helped recover at least 30 bears and the easiest to trail have all been shot with mechanical heads like Rage or Spitfires. Pass throughs are typical with short blood trails. I have shot a few with a 1 1/8 fixed head and recovered them but the tracking was slow and tedious even with great shot placement. One other recommendation is to use a lighted knock.

Jay your right in thinking a heavyier arrow formore plowing power, but how heay I dont know. Bear are very tough muscled animals with large pipe style bones, your gona want an arrow that stores more kentic engery like you want, you dont want a light arrow that'l zip thru or bouch off a leg bone, a heaveir arrow that'll reek havok an destroy anything in its path. Many of bear have been taken with deer st ups but I wont play those odds, a bear of a lifetime shows up an you want to feel confident that ur equipment will do the job. Good luck bud.

I got some heavier arrows went from 7.2 gpi and 345 total grains to 9.7 gpi and 420 total grains . I can see better penetration into foam target , should translate into better power in a bear. Kinetic energy went up some not much as I lost some speed. But a much stronger arrow if I hit bone.. also decided on from reaper heads seem very strong and I like no o-ring factor.

Jay, as you mentioned, any time you bump weight up, speed will go down. However, going drom an arrow as light as you were shooting to one that is the weight you're shooting now is a very good move IMO. It'll not only be better for bear, it'll also serve you better for hunting in general. If you make a less than ideal shot on a deer, you'll also be much better off with your current arrow than your old one.

Good luck- I hope you shoot a biggun!