• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which side of main motor to put electric on?

Cove

Question

I have not used a tiller rig for decades. Now I about to take possession of a new 14 foot Lund Fury with a 25 hp eTec with a bow mounted MinnKota.

The pedestal seat is on the starboard side, facing electronics on the port side, operating eTec with left hand.

Questions:

1. Will I even want to stick a transom electric on the stern (I have a 50 lb thrust stern mounted elecric) or will the outboard and the bow mounted electric take care of all my needs?

2. If I do decide to put my electric on transom will I want to place it on the starboard or the port side of my 25 hp motor?

I need to decide because it would determine which side I have my sonar transducer mounted on.

4 answers to this question

I would mount it on the port side if that is the way you are facing. Mine is set up behind me on the starboard side and I hate it. If the folks that had the boat before me hadn't mounted the transducer on the port side I would have it there already.

Bingo, you answered my question. Let us see what else I get but based on that confirmation of my own hunch I am going to ask them to mount the transducers on starboard side and run my electric off the port side.

I think that the answer lies within knowing how far away the seat and tiller handle are located, along with how long your arms are. I'm not a tall guy at 5'8, so when I bought my first ever boat, I put the transom-mounted trolling motor on the starboard side with my seat. Otherwise I had to lean over to run it, especially if I wanted to turn right. I tried it on the port side once. As I was leaning over to make a right turn, I got hit by the wake of a big boat and I flew off the seat and into the gunnel. It was much nicer to have the transom-mounted trolling motor on my side of the boat (starboard). Yeah I had to reach behind me but it was much safer. Besides, I was usually leaning back in my seat anyway so it was quite a comfortable way to fish!