• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are all boat plugs created equal?

Craigums

Just bought a Ranger and the boat plug is old and worn. Can i use ANY boat plug as a replacement? I used to have one in my old tin can which just expanded when I pushed a tab down. And the one that came with the Ranger appears to be threaded... What do you guys think?

btw, i'll use this post as a chance to show it off smile

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

bravo dude.. and congrats!!!!

call up a ranger dealer and get a ranger plug threaded for your boat.

Thanks man, it's been a long time coming. I'll give a Ranger dealer a call, I would imagine they have them in stock.

PS- Since this is my first "big boat", what are some of the friendliest boat ramps you guys come across in the east metro (I live in South St. Paul). I'd like to take a day off work and just practice launching and loading the boat without holding people up or getting myself into a jam trying to lauch at a beat up boat ramp

That's pretty. Yeah, maybe stay away from Hidden Falls as I mentioned on your other thread. That's just too pretty.

lol, I saw that. I'm not ready to tackle the river in this rig....yet. It's a shame to because the 494 lauch is a mile from my house.

ya. dont practice loading and unloading on a river. that will frustrate a guy real fast. I have a very similar ranger. I back in until just the tops of my tires are showing or maybe a bit deeper if needed. when loading i don't back in quite as far. the bunks and motor will pull your boat nice and straight. if your to deep and your rear end is floating when you pull out of the water it may sit crooked. practice makes perfect.

give us some stats. I can see its a 150 evinrude ficht. what model is it. looks like an 18 footer. year/model?

1998 Comanche 518 DVS Special. 1998 Johnson FICHT 150hp 2-Stroke, 4 blade stainless prop. Title says 19' but I think its probably 18 1/2'. Lowrance DI & Minnkota Maxxum (80#?) on the bow. Humminbird GPS & SI on the console (Huge upgrade as far as electronics for me, all I've ever had was a flasher).

Everythings is fairly clean except the seats are hurting a bit. Not sure were I'd find replacement seats if I ever decided to upgrade. The cover needs to be replaced also.

Very nice Craigums!! Lake Elmo has a nice deep ramp but I think you have to pay to get into the park where the launch is. You could also try Johanna in Arden Hills. It has a decent ramp...its a little shallow but i've never had a problem loading there.

Very nice Craigums!! Lake Elmo has a nice deep ramp but I think you have to pay to get into the park where the launch is. You could also try Johanna in Arden Hills. It has a decent ramp...its a little shallow but i've never had a problem loading there.

Thanks, I'll give Elmo a try. I was looking at Owasso right next to Johanna. Does anyone know how nice the Owasso ramp is? I think once I launch it a few times I'll be ok.

thought it was a 518. i think the boat is like 18'11'' with the built in setback. look into the bass boat seat store for recovering your seats. ranger will be super expensive if you go through them for new seat skins. options are endless with covers. can go custom or semi-custom. i have a cabelas semi custom i bought at deep discount last fall. a few guys i know used a canvas shop up by chisago. think its called lakes area canvas. they seem to love there covers. still cant help you on a plug though.

Not sure what kinds of boats you guys are launching but I just put In at Gervais and I scraped the bottom of my trailer cause the ramp is so steep, think the concrete sunk in. As for Owasso not the best launch either it's super shallow. There are very few decent ramps in the metro for launching a bass boat, sure you can get them in but they're not ideal. Only one I can think of that's pretty good is bald eagle, other then that good luck, nothing a little practice won't help.

Craigums congrats on the boat you'll love it.

Call Ranger direct for the seats, They priced mine at $545 plus tax, I think they said it would take 3-4 weeks to get them. You would have to have them installed though.