• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New AIS law

harvey lee

Here is the post where RH1 asked the question.

still no answer to this question. should the sea lamprey's in the great lakes be left alone or should they be "controled" as they are now? they are a invasive species. there are studies as we speak being done in many states to find ways to "control" or eliminate invasive species. there were studies taken prior to finding the chemical to control lamprey's. was that a waste of money? doing nothing certainly is not the answer. there is nothing i will do this year that i havent done for years. these new regs do not change anything for me as far as fishing nor will they be a problem as far as time if i get checked. good luck.

I do not know exactly what they are doing to control the lamprey but it seems the program is working.

RH1 I might guess could chime in here and help us understand what they have done exactly to help stop them.

Point being, they are an IS and if they would not have done a thing, it could possibly be even worse than it was.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a road side random check is unconstitutional before it's even determined by the courts, realy? i'm talking about the present one with this issue. stickers will solve nothing. not a fan of them since i have 2 on my trailer already from 02 and 07. say pretty much as the one i have now. they do raise awareness to those who dont have the stickers. obviously signs at the boat landings are overlooked by some who eagerly launch their boat, concidering the non compliance rate we have.

what would the opinions be if big headed carp ate the same food as catfish in the rivers. with their numbers being a possibility, soon overwelming the cats in the rivers, eagerly taking the baits of the wisker followers. i would imagine a lot of the catfishing crowd would change their tune on this invasive species and may have a different outlook on things.

why does it have to be what affects us personaly? why not take the whole state wide fishery in context. AIS affects us all and if we dont at least try to control them, what will we tell our children and their children? it was going to happen anyway? but then there will be someone who will ask "why did they control the sealamprey?" why was that neccessary. why did the state finaly choose to control the wolf poppulation? and so on.

can there be anyone out there that feels they will somehow have their fishing activities altered in a major way because of these regs? even a moderate way? not me. this year will be like last year and the years before. good luck.

Harvey and others,

Where did you put your AIS decal?

Did you place it beside the sticker you put on your boat that says you can only keep six walleye?

Did you place it beside the sticker you put on your boat that says if you fish Trout Run Creek all trout 12-16" must be released and artificial lures and flies can only be used?

Did you place it beside the sticker you put on your boat that says it is unlawful to possess a spear, harpoon, dipnet, or archery equipment on or near any waters from March 1 to April 30?

Did you place it beside the sticker you put on your boat that says your boat must be equipped with a hand, mouth, or power-operated whistle or horn capable of producing a continuous sound for two seconds and audible for one-half mile?

Did you place it beside the sticker you put on your boat that says white lights must be visible for two miles on a dark, clear night?

Did you place it beside the sticker you put on your boat that says all watercraft motors must have a muffler, underwater exhaust, or other device that adequately suppresses the sound of the motor?

Just wondering, because all of those things are currently in law...no different than what is being addressed on the AIS sticker, yet we didn't need a sticker to figure out that we need to comply with those items or there will be consequences.

No not yet.

I understand all about the dislike for the sticker and tend to agree to some points.

How would you try and stop this AIS issue? That was the initial rerason for this thread but so few only want to slam what the DNR did yet they have nothing better to purpose.

Lmit, if you read my very first post, here is what I asked.

For those who are against this, what could the DNR try and do to stop this or at least slow the spread until they can come up with a solution to try and control or elimante this in our water?

Where did I state anything about decals?

For those who are against this, what could the DNR try and do to stop this or at least slow the spread until they can come up with a solution to try and control or elimante this in our water?

If the best idea the so-called experts could come up with is a sticker then we've already lost.

Stickers solve everything I guess.

Harvey, I think you may be painting with to broad of a brush here!

I am very much for the program of preventing("slowing") the spread of Invasives. I am all for, pull the plugs, no water in livewell, baitwell, and the checking and removing of ALL weeds from equipment.

Although I am against the decal, ALTERNATIVE IDEA: Spent this money on more research for chemical or biological controls or on more manpower to check AT landings.

I am against roadside CHECKS, ALTERNITIVE IDEA: Keep checks at landings only.

If you are seen trailering weeds or water pouring out of your livewell drain, or your plug is in we have laws against that, pull them over and ticket or warn.

As far as the lamprey issue, They should continue thier chemical controls. They have a proven contol to keep the sea lamprey at bay. How long did they do nothing, as far as new regulations, before they found this control? Did they create dozens of new laws and regs before they found the chemical control? Respectfully, can you or RH1 answer these for me.

I feel most of us are more than willing to do our part to slow the spread but if it is we have to agree with all of it,to be in favor it. Than I guess I am against it. crazyconfused

I will say as I have above, I have very few issue's with pulling the decal if that's the total reason why many are against this or maybe against just the decal.

But, I have read many other posts where people do not want to empty thier livewell and follow the other regs also.

For me, if we could come up with a chemical that could eliminate all AIS issues, then I would be all in on spending these funds for research in findsing that chemical solution.

I am going to try and call the DNR and see what I can find out about what if anything the DNR has done to look into another avenue to solve this issue and I will get back here as soon as I get a reply to post. I would think that for what this program in place now will cost all of us, that money could go a long ways in research to find a chemical if at all possible. My bet is, this will become a larger issue in many states in years to come and some checmical company like DOW or another will find that chemical to be offered to qualified people to apply in our lakes. That could take years though to go through all the safelty issues to make sure we do not do any harm to our lakes in the process of killing all the Ais.

With that said, they also may have already started to do this research but I will check into to it and see what I can come up with.

Today I sent an e-mail to my State Rep and Senator to ask who at the DNR is working heavily with the AIS program to see if they have researched the chemical usage end of it or if they have checked into another option other than the partial fix to slow the spread of this.

Waiting for a reply.

I am for trying about anything that would have a chance to work as long as it is sure to not be harmful to everything else.

Harvey, For me its not so much what can be done. Its the "feel good" approach about doing it that irks me.

If there is a real way to get rid of them then we will use it when it is discovered, Like the lamprey eel. But to throw darts at the wall and hope it works for the sake of saying we tried is crazy. Just another example of waste.

mabr, I may be all wet but I do believe that if we all do what is asked of us to help slow this, that could work. Will it stop it, I would agree, no.

I am hoping or shall we say i have wishful thinking that until we have a total solution that trying to slow this may help. I guess we will not know the answer to this until some time has passed.

Harvey, I think you may be painting with to broad of a brush here!

I am very much for the program of preventing("slowing") the spread of Invasives. I am all for, pull the plugs, no water in livewell, baitwell, and the checking and removing of ALL weeds from equipment.

Although I am against the decal, ALTERNATIVE IDEA: Spent this money on more research for chemical or biological controls or on more manpower to check AT landings.

I am against roadside CHECKS, ALTERNITIVE IDEA: Keep checks at landings only.

If you are seen trailering weeds or water pouring out of your livewell drain, or your plug is in we have laws against that, pull them over and ticket or warn.

That makes too much sense.

Harvey,

One other suggestion I have for our DNR and legislature is, make PREVENTION the number one priority or conerstone of any program.

We need regulation that stop the invasives from getting into our Ports, insterstate and international water ways. Once they here we only have reactive measures, which rarely work effectively. It hard to find a way to stop them once they are already at the doorstep. Almost all of these were seen coming long before they were here. The state being proactive sure would have been nice.

OK, I did some thinking about this:

why do we need stickers on our boats for everyone to be aware of the applicable laws (and therefor have no "ignorance of the law excuse" if a CO discovers a violation, be it transporting AIS or no lifejackets on board or fish limits/sizes or whatever)

BUT

we don't need stickers on our cars for everyone to be aware of the applicable laws (yet we still have no ignorance excuse if the highway patrol tags us for speeding or rolling a stop sign or whatever)

Well here's what I realized:

We have to pass a written test and a driving test to get a license for driving on a public roadway; a major part of that test is understanding the laws which apply to driving on public roadways.

Hmmm maybe if one is going to operate a boat on public waterways, they should have to first pass a .... well you see where I'm going with this.

AIS prevention should be just one part of the written test for getting a boating license. An understanding of the laws/regs that govern boat operation on public waters should also be a large part.

How about a equivalent to the "behind the wheel test"? Of course, the equivalent to the paralell parking routine would be; you have to demonstrate that you can back a trailer down the ramp and launch/retrieve a boat.

Just think of how many things we often see mentioned in the forums that it appears other boaters are not even aware of.

Harv, I abide by all the other laws. Pulled plug (im sure you’ve seen Rangers Its WAY up under), drained live wells, pulled weeds THAT I COULD SEE! All without complaining to much I’m doing my part and I will have the da—sticker when I absolutely have to have it. BUT I know without a doubt I’ve carried milfoil to other lakes “without intent” and once I have that new sticker I will still continue to . Any boat trailer that has bunks has without a doubt transferred weeds from one lake to another. So are they going to outlaw bunk trailers next?

Like I said this whole deal is IMO to make everyone FEEL like we are attempting to do something. This we all know isn’t going to do one thing. Oh you say it will slow it. Maybe, but where is the proof of that. Guys I’m going to say something a couple buddies and me got talking about not too long ago that will upset A LOT on here. There are actually people who would prefer these invasives are here! Not me I assure you but I have a strong suspicion that a lot have been spread intentionally buy guys who want them here for whatever reason.

And that you will never stop no matter what laws you pass or stickers you put on my boat.

lot of talk[i'm addressing in general here] but i have yet to have anyone to say that the controlling of the sea lamprey was a waste of time, including the study it took to find the controlling method that was applied. stickers are a minor part of this plan as far as the budget so let's get real here. mill foil is not a great thing for shallow lakes. sure it provides cover and in some respects improves fishing. not in shallow lakes. it takes conciderable space where once you were able to fish.

perhapst one cant compare the lamprey to the zebs, but you dont know that at this point. how much taxpayer money is being spent to clean up the intake pipes to power plants? this i give up, let's just let it be, attitude doesn't help the future generation who will use our waters in the future. cant believe the big deal about a sticker.

if more were actualy concerned about our waters we would not have the non=compliance rate we do today. i'm not a left wing tree hugger here, i'm a concerned angler worried about our children and their childrens future in regards to our waters. this talk of it's going to spread anyway was not in the minds of people who controlled the sea lamprey. good luck.

I agree its too late to stop the spread! It is mother nature and it will find a way.

As far as a chemical a simple bar of soap in the bottom of the billge on the boat will kill almost anything in less than 15 minutes! Larry Bollig did a "test" and this will kill weeds, minnows ect.... in short order. instead of spending hundreds of thousands on the decals and trying to stop something the DNR should hand out bars of dial soap! that would make way too much sense!

DTro, I know you are totally against this whole program that the DNR has proposed for law as you have stated in numerous posts that you do not want to remove your bait, pull your plug or any of that as I have read it numerous times in your posts. It's a pain to remove the bullheads from the boat to take home. I have done that for the past 2 years and it takes minutes per trip and I have had no issues doing that at all. Really a small part of the whole program. Ding Ding.

Do that 6 days a week at 1am when you have to get up for work at 4:30 and get back to me. I bet I'll say it's no big deal when I'm retired too.

When the bucket is going from the boat to the truck 1 mile down the road and right back the next night, yes it is a PITA.

I'm not saying nothing can be done, what I'm saying is that anything that is done is most likely a waste of time and money. I'm all about doing things smartly, efficiently, and economically.

Do that 6 days a week at 1am when you have to get up for work at 4:30 and get back to me. I bet I'll say it's no big deal when I'm retired too.

When the bucket is going from the boat to the truck 1 mile down the road and right back the next night, yes it is a PITA.

Dtro, I rarely disagree with you or your views. This is however is a little over the top. You chose to fish late by your own free will. In doing so you chose for it to be a PITA. I find that as no excuse to not change water in your bait. I just can't sympathize.