• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Half ton pickup - rear springs - DIY?

I have old 98 k1500, brother has newer 07 Silverado. He has a broke leaf, and mine are old and weak. Wondering if this is DIY job for half-way mechanical people, with standard air and hand tools. I am thinking not, but not sure. I did do my own trailer leaf springs before, but that was real simple swap.

Don't be afraid to tell me to take it to pros smile ha! At a shop, was is ballpark cost for rear springs (both sides)? I think the 07 parts are about $300 for a set.

Thanks for advice!

I changed out the rear and front springs on a 97 ram 2500 by myself in my garage.

It was quite a while ago, but I believe I put a jack stand under the frame on the one side to keep the body in the air and then put the jack under the axel to lower it once I had the bolts cut off (cant remember). You can bolt one side on and then raise up to bolt in the other side and then raise the axel up to secure the U bolts. If I remember correctly, I would plan on getting new bolts and cut the old ones off (quicker). I think you get new U Bolts with the springs, rusted stuff is tuff to get nuts off. I think I cut those off as well with grinder.

My brother helped with the front springs, little more involved there.

Thanks guys. We found a place in Midway area (280/35W) that are pros, and actually make springs, and can repair just individual leafs and keep cost down along with doing any custom work desired. Rates good, and pickups are like toys for them, compared to their usual heavy duty work smile

Thanks for info and advice! I am not going to tackle this one smile