• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Campbell Hausfeld welder

Tom7227

FF has a flux core wire feed for sale at $180 and a 70 amp stick welder for $100. Every once in a while I come up with some project where I wish I had a welder. I used to use a Lincoln stick welder and it worked well for me. I am wondering if these rigs are worth having or are they pretty marginal. I won't be doing any heavy duty work.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

The wire feed is so much easier and simple than stick welding.The temp settings for the one you mention is most important.I bought a off brand and wish I would have spent the extra to get a hobart with accurate temp settings.This cheaper one works great. I just havent learned to set low temps for sheet metal.I burn it out every time or the arc is too cool sticking the wire to matarial.If its a dial temp set it is what I wish I had.Think I paid 250 280? Got it from Harbor freight.Mine also has gas input and a aluminum setting with gas.

OK I just looked at it.You will have the same problem as I do,Only 4 temp settings. so if you are too cool you have no control you will have to go up one setting.Once I got mine, I was like you thought I'd use it now and then.I use it often!! Get the hobart 125 and spend the extra 100 It will be worth it!

As the others have mentioned, spend the extra $$ and pick up a quality welder. A welder will do nothing but pay for its self over and over again, both in labor and creating stuff yourself.

I started off with a Hobart 135 that ran off 110. Ran that thing for 10 yrs. Now I'm running a Miller 211 w/spool gun and I'm just loving it!

Trust me, the first time you use a good welder, you'll see exactly where that extra money went.

I'm a boilermaker and do a lot of welding both at work and at home. At work we have some quality stuff, both Lincoln and Miller. At home I have a Lincoln buzz box that's about a million years old and it's awesome. I have a Lincoln 175 I use for Tig welding, and a Miller 211 I use for MIG. I also have a POS Campbell Hausfeld flux core wire feed my dad gave me for Christmas a couple years ago. I've used it like 3 times and I'm about ready to either put a bullet through it or give it to some one I don't like.

I realize a budget is a budget but as stated, spend a few extra and get a quality welder. You'll be much happier in the end.

Yep I agree on what most are saying about spending a little extra and it can mean the difference between a great job getting done and total frustration.

I have pretty much all miller equipment 200 mig and a 250X mig sold my miller tig some years back and regret that, but I access to a lincoln same as Eric's and its great. I also have a miller bobcat stick welder works when I need it.

I would do some shopping and check for even a used arc welder and if you can find the old Lincoln red box buy it its one of those things that just always seam to work.

If you go the cheaper route remember that most of these machines will be very fussy and you will spend more time prepping the material along with finding a setting that will work.

I have used a few of the Century 110 wire feeds and they will get the job done but I didn't care for the machine at all.

I have also ran Hobart,Lincoln and Miller 110's and they far exceed anything else I have used in the 110 volt series.

Another thing to think abotu is warranty Miller ,Lincoln and Hobart probably have the industrys best warrantys out there along with customer service.

Good Luck with your choice

A few months ago, Popular Mechanics tested a bunch of 110v welders and had some pretty good information. You may want to look that up. They ranged from a couple hundred bucks to over a grand, but most of them were in the $300-$550 range.

Definitely worth a look-see.

Thanks for the info. Of course it all makes sense. Thing is that I would probably use a welder only a couple times a year. I don't have enough use for it to go through the hassle of running 220 out to the garage. I also have been wary about buying used stuff because you don't know how well it will run. I've been told that you can burn out the transformers and other things and so I've shied away. The info provided however has been enough to keep me away from the rig I listed.

Both Miller and Lincoln make wire feed welders that run off 110 so no need to get 220 in the garage. 220 will give you more options but I understand where you're coming from.

My advice would be go to a local welding/gas supply shop and take a peek at them.

Like everyone else has said, Miller or Lincoln is the way to go. I have a 140 Miller for home use, love it. Hobarts are made in the same factory as the Miller, good welders at a little cheeper price than a Miller.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.