• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille lacs ice house/auger question

Chumba

Lol yes the wait will be long. Hopefully I can tide myself over with this open water stuff.

So when you say you can get your auger down to the ice you are saying through the hole in your house? So if I could not do that an extension would almost certainly be a necessity once the ice starts getting really thick.

Going to mess with your head a little more( its a 27 inch rod without the spring) grin The top of the hole is around 6 inches from the ice, but it is wide enough so that the bottom of the auger head can go deeper because the handles go up at an angle. For sure what will be two years ago needed the extension, the year before it was close, while years like last none was needed. Without seeing your set up hard to say, but if you have a sleeved hole that is 8 inches up from the ice you will need an extension at some time. Suppose it also depends on your auger, i have an electric which sux at break through and often need to pound it down.

full-27018-19691-2012_01_22_09_08_23_423

Cool, thanks for the replys. These are all things I've never had to consider before just renting. I was thinking with steel skids I would want to block up high to avoid getting stuck in, but that had its drawbacks too.

With the price of an extension and the hasstle of having to make a trip to a bait store only to find out you now have to check the next 3 stores and 6 hrs later you are attaching the extension to finish the 2" of ice only to have the barometer change on you.....yadda, yadda, yadda. If you put away $1 out of each paycheck in a jar you can have the security of not worring sitting and waiting for your neighbor to come ask to borrow your extension and trading the use for a couple good laughs and maybe a beer and new friendship...