• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rub Under Chicken Skin

I looked through the smoking links but didn't see anything about how to get a rub under chicken skin. I've always just applied it to the outside. Do you cut/pull the skin up, put rub underneath, and then just lay the skin back down? If so, does the skin not flap all over the place or curl up when cooking?

on a whole chicken you start on the breast near the neck area. just put a couple of fingers under the skin and work the skin gently with a couple of fingers upward without breaking the skin or opening any of the sides. i do this with turkeys also when i shove butter under the skin mixed with seasoning. the legs of the chicken i leave alone as far as under the skin. i do inject them along with the rest of the chicken at times. so the breast can easily be done as far as seasoning under the skin. otherwise i would suggest that you inject the whole chicken with your favorite combination. i haven't rubed under the skin of the chicken for a long time prefering to inject instead and seasoning the outside well. good luck.

+1! pretty much exactly what i do, use fingers to left the skin of the meat, rub with a seasoned butter between the meat and skin, and inject the rest.

Around the neck, the skin will make a "pocket" on the left and right side going down the breast a bit, the going up the breast from the bottom its the same thing.

As stated, no knife needed. I use an herb butter also on turkeys and start at the neck, and can go all the way to the thighs and drummies. The skin stays there and seals it in. Prepare for messy hands almost up to the elbow on a large bird! I then sprinkle a dry seasoning on the outside, too.