• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

on board charger

BIGRED07

was thinking of getting an on board charger. A minnekota 220 2 bank x 10 amp each. it has a 4-6 hour recharge time vs the 210 2 bank x 5 amp each. Was wondering if the 5 amp will charge fast enough overnight? i am running 2 12volts in parallel and use the trolling motor a lot, it is a 50lb thrust power drive. when i am out fishing i u=have about 5-8 hours for recharge time. seeing as how i need to charge both batteries figured this will be easier than trying to go out and change the charger in the middle of the night

Go with the 220 if you can afford the extra $60-70. You'll be happy that you did if you do a lot of heavy trolling motor use. Think about the times mid-summer when you'll fish the walleye bite until the sun goes down at 10pm or so. If it takes 10-12 hours to recharge then you won't be at full charge again until around 10am the next morning. You'll definitely miss the morning bite and/or not have full batteries

I agree. I you fish hard during the season, it is nice to come in at night and plug in your charger on know it is FULLY charged when you get ready to go the next morning. I have the MinnKota 220 and have had no issues with it. But saying that, I had a Cabelas brand charger for 8 years and never had a problem with it either. If you use your trolling motor allot get the MK220.

Mike

Years ago I had a Guest on board charger that was 6 amp per bank. The only time I had problems was in Ontario where we fished until 10pm. At 8am the batteries would not be fully charged. By day 4 it would become an issue with run time.

We would bring 2 portable chargers along and use them instead of the on board charger so we wouldn't run out of power the last 2 days there.

My present boat has a Minnkota 220 and it has never failed to charge them over night.

The 1st boat was a 12v trolling motor with the batteries in paralel and the 2nd boat has a 24v motor so that may have an effect too.