• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Canon 100-400

After years of waffling, I finally made a decision. My Canon 100-400 arrived today. Here are a few of my first efforts.

All except the mallard have been cropped.

The first thing I pointed it at was this nuthatch.

IMG_3695.jpg

Ma& Pa Bluebird.

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

This drake let me get very close.

IMG_3825.jpg

Paint drying.

IMG_3771.jpg

Red Admiral.

IMG_3818.jpg

Congrats on the new hardware.

I like your compositions on the last two images in particular.

Both include great elements of the environment, coupled with nice subject

placements in the frame.

Thanks to all.

After writing on Shawn Z's "Ton o images" post about my waffling, I decided to decide between the Sigma 50-500 and this lens. I'm happy with my choice but I'll wonder every time

Shawn posts his great stuff.

Daniel Cadieux is an extremely talented nature photographer that uses the 100-400 as his main lens. If you want to get inspired, go check out his HSOforum...just do a google search with his name to find it. I'm not going to post the HSOforum, because I'm not sure if that is allowed or not on this site. Check his work out though, it's off the hook amazing.

Much more important than the gear you use, is knowledge of the subject, and willingness to use methods that have been proven effective. The good images that I get are because I have learned where to go, at what time of the year, and what approach to use based on what I'm trying to photograph. The images that I have not produced yet, are not because I don't use LensA or CameraB, it's because I have not learned what I need to about the subject to create the shots... But, if money were no object....I'd own a 600mmf4 yesterday smile

But only because a 600mf4 "looks" sexy.... smile