• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinnerbaits for walleyes

I've seen a few articles talking about spinnerbaits for walleyes and I feel that it could be a pretty deadly technique. With that being said, for those who use them, under what conditions do you use them? Areas? Sizes that work best? One or two blades? Added trailers?

Thank you for any input you can add,

Chris

I never thought that it would work until I was fishing bass at my parents cabin. I was fishing the outside edge of a weedline. Last year the walleye were up shallow for a long time. I used a 3/8 oz w/ willow spinners. Caught more walleyes doing that vs. running spinners.

Chase Parsons won a FLW event trolling spinnerbaits over the treetops using leadcore last year. I like to incorporate the clothespin spiners on twisters and shad style baits for extra flash and vibration when I'm fishing early season walleyes over shallow rocky bars, using both casting and trolling. Bettle spins are great walleye baits and you will find that if you fish weedlines enough with bass type spinner baits you will pull a few eyes as well.

Tunrevir~

Yeah, tunrevir beat me to it....We catch more walleyes than you'd think throwing spinnerbaits to weedlines for bass. Or I'll be wading a little river, throwing a spinnerbait or a spinner for smallies, and I'll catch walleye that way, too.

Well I guess the cats out of the bag. I catch quite a few eyes every year slow rolling a white spinner bait(single colorado blade) with a fluke as a trailer on deep weed lines. I usually get them bass fishing this way, but I'm sure if you played with the presentation this could turn into a pretty reliable bite

The only real pattern we have found with spinner baits is during high water, Over the years when heavy rains hit and raise the Mississippi(in little Falls)and area lakes, we always bring the spinners out. We cast flooded shorelines and current areas with great sucess, and suprising size. On the lakes in higher water we mainly target the deep edge of bullrush stands. 3/8 oz gold colorado blade w/black and white skirt is the top catcher over the years.

I put walleyes in the boat by accident once, using hammered nickel spoons/daredevils, early in the year, we hoped for pike of course and at days end we boated 28 pike, 9 bass and 7 walleyes, kinda strange but it's what happened. We missed several other walleyes we believe, the bites were kinda odd and eventually hooking some they were eyes. So spinnerbaits I don't doubt, right place right time of year, etc.

Riverfish, that's sounds like a great idea! Gonna tie some up tonight when I get home as this way you could eliminate a forward sinker to get you in the right depth! So were looking at a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce jig having about 6-8 brite colored beads with a gold or silver Colorado blade. And attach a stinger hook to the end of the crawler. Hmmm! I'll take a photo of my results later!

I've been bass fishing on Pool 2 a lot this year and have caught more than a few nice walleyes on bass style spinnerbaits. Question is with the St Croix river walleye opener coming up...Am I able to target walleye with these spinnerbaits without people thinking I'm fishing for bass?

I probably know or don't know the answer already, just wondering what others think.

i fish spinner blades quite often with great sucess. i make all my own rigs.. colored beads of yor choosing but i only add enough beads to the end ofthe blade touches or covers the eye of the hook. my personal favorites were made by mr twister called walleye props. i still have a few left but unfortunately theyare not made any longer. they can however be found online if you are resourceful.! i usually do bot use them unless i move a speed over 1.2 mph... too little qind i dont believe you get the desired action. tip the hook with a crawler or jumbo leech

Good post, fetch, but I think most people are referring to the lures typically used for bass with one or two coloradi/willow leaf blades attached by a wire to a big lead jig with a skirt. I'd call what you're using a "spinner," and they work pretty darn well, too. smile

Had several big Walleyes eat a 1oz Strike King Double Willow Bottom Dweller Spinnerbait on Mille Lacs today.

They hit the bait hard, I was shocked by the first one and then after catching 2 more I stopped being shocked.

I am not a Walleye guy by any means I was trying to catch Pike.

IMG00142-20120525-1046.jpg

IMG00143-20120525-1047.jpg