• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ticks

There's several sprays available to keep ticks off you. A quick look at any stand that carries insect repelant will turn up a few good ones made just for ticks.

Many tuck their pant legs into their sox and wear light colored clothing so you can see the little buggers.

I use the cheapest spray in big cans for outdoor bug killing, and spray my shoes, pants, and coat. This is not sprayed on the skin but on all outside clothes and seems to work pretty good. Still have found a few. Don't know of anything that's 100%

we had another tick thread in the hunting forum and one poster mentioned Sawyers Permethrin. this is a spray that not only repels but kills ticks. it is not for the skin but for spraying on clothing and shoes. probably something to look up and read up on it. i'm getting some today. i agree with the light clothing and tuck in the pants or use sonething to keep the bottoms closed so the ticks cant make it up your leg. i duct taped my pants to my boots at times and then put one strip sticky side up near the duct tape and then put a couple of strips on the sides of the sticky side up on the bottom of my pants and have had them get stuck on that strip. i'm going to try the spray this time around and see if it works. good luck.

we had another tick thread in the hunting forum and one poster mentioned Sawyers Permethrin. this is a spray that not only repels but kills ticks. it is not for the skin but for spraying on clothing and shoes. probably something to look up and read up on it. i'm getting some today. i agree with the light clothing and tuck in the pants or use sonething to keep the bottoms closed so the ticks cant make it up your leg. i duct taped my pants to my boots at times and then put one strip sticky side up near the duct tape and then put a couple of strips on the sides of the sticky side up on the bottom of my pants and have had them get stuck on that strip. i'm going to try the spray this time around and see if it works. good luck.

I worked for Metro Mosquito Control years ago, and we had a tick program with some of the best educated folks on ticks and Lymes, and this is exactly what we did. I still do it, though I don't have permeth. spray at the moment. But will get some this weekend. I also will duct tape the bottom of my pants sometimes, if being more active in the woods where pants would come out of socks/boots. Good luck!

thanks for your post. good to know someone experienced in insect control reccommends this stuff. i see more deer ticks now for some reason. never had one until 2 years ago and i'm in the woods a lot. last year was the first year i had a deer tick in my back yard. good luck.

for keeping cool yet completely covered and tucked to keep away from ticks.. look into base layers.. they are skin tight... very light weight.. and almost all of them actually wick moisture so you don't even feel sweaty.. i've worn baselayer bottoms with shorts plenty of times... and honestly.. you can barely even tell you have the bottoms on..and they tuck easily into socks... I always make sure to spray down with 40% deet too... i'll look into this permathin stuff though as Sawyer makes some amazing products.. if they can make life saving water filters.. im sure they know a thing or two about preventing bug bites

Tried some of that spray permethrin and bought light colored pants. Took the dog into the high grass for about 100 feet and got back n trail. Looked down and watched 4 deer ticks and 3 wood ticks crawl all the way to the top of my pants before I flicked em off. Not impressed with it at all. Do not think it was Sawyer brand though. Will try that. Thanks. Thhis year mushroom hunting I found about 6 on me after steps into woods. Bad !

I saw the dumbest news story the other day.. before commercial they go "a new threat is coming our way" and they come back from commercial.. and they go "Ticks and Limes disease.. It's closer than you think"... unless it's coming out of my faucet.. I'm pretty sure they've always been as close as I've known.. "you no longer have to go north to find ticks" derp.. maybe these news anchors need to leave the studio a little more often