• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat/trailer insurance prices

Fish&Fowl

Just looking for some ideas on what you guys are running for boats vs. what you pay for insurance. My dad's boat is basically the same as mine as far as length and motor hp, but his is two years newer and he has cheaper insurance.

Guessing his age is why his is cheaper...Mines around $175 a year for a 1991 Skeeter S-135 ( 17' glass deep V) with matching trailer and a 91 115 merc.... Equipment is on a seperat policy and several thousand more than the boat/motor/trailer and runs me around $12 a month....

Best thing about insurance now days is the internet. Every few years we shop around. We've been staying with Progressive as no one can beat them and every year they give us more discounts. Great to deal with also.

a few examples for you:

2011 Alumacraft 185 w/ 150 yam 4 stroke $181 yr

2007 Alumacraft 165 w/50 etec $108 yr

1996 Lund pro v 1890 w/90 tiller $95yr

2003 Ranger 619 w/200 yam $276 yr

Those are all $500 ded with $1500 max for the trailer and $1500 max each for the depthfinder and trolling motor.

I have my boat/electronics/personal gear insured for $60,000 with vanashing deductable and tournament coverage (some insurance companies will use the tournament issue as a reason to deny your claim), boat and trailer towing and all the bells and whistles. Insurance limits are three times state minimum and I pay less than you would think. Way less than I pay for the vehicle to tow the boat around and about a $100 a year more than my buddy who has his boat insured for about half of what I do.

Thanks guys. I have an '06 Alumacraft Tournament Sport with a 150 Yamaha 4-stroke (valued at $27,000 as a package) and am paying $258. My dad's insurance is progressive while mine is safeco, but when I tried to get an estimate progressive was around $380! I may look into getting a higher deductible as mine is only $250.

$130/year for: $1.000 coverage 84 mercury 75 hp

1, 000 84 all roller shorelander trailer

3,000 84 crestliner nordic explorer, trolling moter,

electronics, gear, etc. (plus coverage under

homeowners policy)

$250 ded.

plus any discounts we get for being with allstate forever

ps..i just added my hb 597 ci hd last fall and called agent few times to "make sure" of coverage, was told it would be covered no matter what wether on boat coverage or homeowners, was told dont worry bout it been with them so long they said we would ALWAYS b taken care of

Quote:
when you talk to 1000's of people each year about their insurance like I do you realize that the worst thing for people buying insurance is the internet..

THIS IS COMPLETE Bull honky! Sorry-not going to get into this with you after this post but th OP needs better facts then this.

The internet is a great way to get the best price for the best services...period! You can research companys customer service, see how people rate them, get instant quotes, get "TRUE" life experiences with clam process. With the interent at your finger tips, you can find both agents and non-agent companies to compare rates and services. Like Progessive that has OUTSTANDING customer service, great rates to American family with poorer customer service and slightly higher rates. google it! Pending location, agents, what you want, search them all for the best rates and check out their claim process from other clients! ALL FROM THE INTERNET!

Me: Progressive

2007 Lowe FS165 90 hr mercury and trailer

Total Loss replacement

Road Side Assistance

$1750 in accessories

$107/year

Thanks guys. I have an '06 Alumacraft Tournament Sport with a 150 Yamaha 4-stroke (valued at $27,000 as a package) and am paying $258. My dad's insurance is progressive while mine is safeco, but when I tried to get an estimate progressive was around $380! I may look into getting a higher deductible as mine is only $250.

There are so many variables that can go into the cost; it's not really helpful to throw out boats and prices. Value of boat, actual cash value or agreed value, zip code, credit score, age, other insurance with same company, driving record, years of boating experience, continuous prior boat insurance, pollution clean up, etc. etc...

ClownColor- Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Doing research can be great with the internet but you will hear horror stories about Progressive just as much as any other insurance company. Some people just don't understand insurance and use the internet to sound off when they may be completely wrong in understanding what is covered through insurnace.

Oh and amateurfishing you might want to get all your fishing equipment endorsed on your boat policy so you don't have to file a homeowner's claim.

and mnfishinguy what are the minimum limits to carry for the state of MN? You are not required to carry insurance on a boat so your 3 times the state minimum that your agent fed you or you are feeding us is talk unless it is required in tournaments.

Have a good weekend!!!

Clown Color, you have no idea how the insurance industry works bud, I'm glad you love progressive and everything you read about them and I hope it works out well for you, all I was saying is that I run accross absolute horror stories from people that insure their things with internet companies and I truly believe that the internet is the worst thing ever to happen to people buying insurance. You'll be seeing alot of changes with internet insurance and all insurance (it's alraedy started) BTW, you honestly don't think that those reviews aren't written by marketing companies?

Quote:
Me: Progressive

2007 Lowe FS165 90 hr mercury and trailer

Total Loss replacement

Road Side Assistance

$1750 in accessories

$107/year

it's just me but if I had that boat I would be paying $78yr for the same coverage probably better with a very good company. Sounds like you've been had by too many comercials and reviews that you think are real.. There is an old saying, believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

You won't ever know until you have a claim and I hope they take good care of you.

ok that would make sense then since he said he tourny fishes...what is the state minimum then you must have for tourny fishing in MN? Do they make you show current insurance and contact your carrier to prove that your insurance is valid? I ask as I have no clue and am curious...I am not into tourny fishing so I have never heard of this. Thanks

I have an 2009 Lund Explorer Sport with a 115 Merc 4s equipped with all the whistles and bells. I purchase my insurance through Boat US which is underwritten by AIG.

Stated Value Policy Package Total $21,000 Boat $10k Motor $8k Trailer $4k, If unit is totaled these amounts is what they pay.

$5,000 Listed Equipment

$5,000 All contents

$1,000 Med Pay

$100,000 Liability $250,000 combined limit.

Vehicle and trailer towing 250 miles (International)

Boat Towing 250 miles 100%

Fuel / Oil spill $500,000

$100 deductible

2012 premium $190.00

I had a lower unit claim 2 years ago. Local independent adjuster was assigned claim. Back on the water in 10 days. The shop even came to my house picked up the boat and brought it back.

IMO the internet is a viable source for insurance. I have used it to purchase some coverages for my company's equipment and my personal insurance. However, the average guy doesn't have adequate knowledge of the coverages they need and might end up with gaps. Another downside is that I find is that I get an initial "grabber rate", but upon renewal the premium gets adjusted upward. I've seen as high as 50% on some coverages. Then I have to shop again and make sure I've got adequate coverages. For the bulk of purchases, business and personal, I use the local independent agents. They provide competitive pricing and I never have to worry about coverage gaps. Insurance is competitive and everyone should do their due diligence and ask for quotes every year, but there is a big benefit to company loyalty especially with the local guys.

Your driving record plays a huge roll in insurance prices too. My insurance was quoted for 150 a year and after my driving record was checked it jumped up to 280! One OWI from 5 years ago and a speeding ticket from 2 years ago... For going 5 over.

I have a 2009 23 foot Crestliner pontoon with a 60 Merc on it and a trailer. Value was $32,500 when I got it. My independent insurance agent had the policy written by Progressive. Just got the bill and it is $147. 250K/100K liabilty, $125 deductble for comprehensive and collision. $500 deductible for electronics, $250 for personal effects with a limit of $1,000.

The agent has the house and vehicles with Hartford so there has to be a reason why he went with Progressive on the boat and trailer.

so if I posted that I caught my limit of walleyes on 12" of ice yesterday you'd beleive it because it is on a public site that you like?

fyi, one of my best friends was a casulty adjuster for Progressive before coming to my company. (the guy who would handle your boat claim). I know exactly how they opperate. And I talk to people at the MN department of commerce regularly and I get all the yearly loss ratios from all the companies i.e. what the take in for premiums and what they pay out on claims.

you on the other hand read some reviews and get some quotes every few years.

To each their own and you have your view points and I have my experience.

The agent has the house and vehicles with Hartford so there has to be a reason why he went with Progressive on the boat and trailer.

My bet is that the agent is getting a higher commission and some volume spiffs for new business. Plus you get a good initial rate.

fyi, one of my best friends was a casulty adjuster for Progressive before coming to my company. (the guy who would handle your boat claim). I know exactly how they opperate.

Let's be fair here. You know exactly how your friend operates and only have his word of mouth to back up your assertions.

If YOU have or had worked for Progressive then you would have first hand information to share.

I have a Progressive Policy on my boat and vehicles and have for over 12 years. During that time I have had 2 Car claims, Both comprehensive and could not have been treated better. They paid for repairs minus my deductible and there was NEVER an issue. Their prices were better than ANY company I have had quoted and as I said their service for me has been top notch.

This is coming from an ACTUAL Progressive customer not a disgruntled employee with an Axe to grind or a competing company agent trying to down play a competitor.

For the record my 2011 Crestliner, Kicker motor, Trailer,5K Fishing equipment, Complete agreed upon replacement with NEW boat, 250.00 Deductible for 165.00 a year.

The Department of Commerce information may be all fine and dandy, but it's the customers that tell you what is actually happening.

And before you insinuate, Progressive did not pay me to post my opinion. Their product and prices speak for themselves as do their customers, like me.

Mike

The agent has covered the house for 20+ years and my boats for over 15 so it isn't new business. The info I gave is for the third year he's written the coverage on the boat and the premium hasn't changed much at all.

I guess I don't understand why this thread has gotten so confrontational. The original poster was only asking for information. I doubt he's learned much from many of the replies.

My response was not intended to be confrontational or in any way besmirch Progressive. I was merely commenting on your statement that your agent placed your boat coverage with another company and the possible reason why he did it.

Mike, you assume my friend is disgruntled which he is not. I'm glad you are happy and were treated well, I just rarely hear that and no I'm not trying to sell you anything. All insurance companies have happy and disgruntled customers.. I started with the comment that I think the internet is the worst thing ever to happen to buying insurance and I truely believe that and someone really took offense to it so I was trying to explain myself and sometimes these threads are hard to interpret. I won't name names on here but the main reason that I hate the internet companies because I have seen people lose almost everything because they called a 1-800 number anbd said give me the cheapest insurance you have so I am legal or so the bank is happy. I'm dealing with a claim right now where the people did that and hit one of my clients head on and after $300k+ of medical bills, it is going to ruin all their lives. And there is alot more than that..