• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead waters of the midwest

jamjumper

Sooo....I was looking and thinking and curious what people think. The minnesota river, Mississippe, and St. Croix rivers of MN have flats in them. The James and the Missouri in SD and the Fox and some others in WI. Are there others that I havent named that people know they are in. Has anyone fished any of these outside of MN and of the ones in MN what do people feel are the better river for flats. How far up the MN do flatheads go? Do most people fish the MN between the mississipi and new ulm, or do people find good success further up the river near redwood falls? Just curious what people think or have tried. A friend has been after them near Madison WI, and my fiance has heard some info around Vermillion SD on the James, state record from near there is like 67 lbs and fairly recent. I am addicted to these fish and am looking at ways to spend time after them and new places and ideas to try.

+1 on the Chippewa River in Wisconsin. I used to get out there multiple times a week when I lived back home. Every once in a while, when I'm not on Pool 4, I still do. There are flats...although I've only caught a handful of smaller ones over the years (WAY more nice channels). A buddy hooked into a 12-15 pounder last year while working perch with an ultralight...that sure made for an interesting 15 minutes!