• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout in Canada- How to?

I will be doing a fly-in to NW Ontario in mid July. The lake has a good population of Lake Trout, but I've never targeted them. We will not have access to downriggers up there. What would be some techniques for that time of year? Locatiosn to target? Specific baits to use?

Thanks for the Help!

-Dave

vertical jig with large white tube jigs (1oz-2oz) Northland makes the jigs you need. tough to explain on here but but they are long and skinny and the eylet is on the middle to it sits like an upside down T and they have a real erratic motion. If you can, try and find a sucker while your up there and tootsie roll them and stick a hunk of sucker on there and it helps a ton. Another thing you can do is drop a #5 mepps aglia spinner to the bottom and reel up fast and jigg it hard. You'll be fishing in really deep water and sometimes we have 5-6 lakers follow it up 60-80 feet.

Depending on the water your fishing and the length of the trolling runs you can make, I'd look at some dypsie divers, jet divers and tadpole diving weights to get you down. A good depthfinder that shows a thermocline or a hand held thermometer to find where or if there is a thermocline is always nice. Snap weights are an option using 4 oz-1 lb balls to drag things around depending on depth and structure. Probably the easiest of the above mentioned items are the jet divers and dypsies. Leadcore is an option as well if you have long trolling runs without alot of steep bottom changes. Jigging for fish over deepwater areas is good as well. I like the bigger rattling buckshot spoons but white twisters and a 1/2-3/4th oz head can be as good or better at times.

Tunrevir~