• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any of you guys shoot/own one? I'm looking at picking up my first handgun in the next couple of months and really love the accuracy & cool factor of this weapon, but I wanna know if the almost $1000 starting price & spendy ammo is worth it. I'm also looking at an xdm-9 or m92 for my carry gun/the one I leave with my wife when I'm gone.

Not really ideal carry guns in my opinion. I saw a guy shooting the FN and it is very fast with light recoil. I did not fire it and have no further information.

M92 is a pretty big heavy gun for carry with a large grip and heavy double action. Not the best for women with small hands.

XD not a bad choice and the best of the 3 you listed. Lighter to carry depending on model, easy to manipulate the controls and lots of after market goodies if you want them.

The FN is a cool gun but as noted by HNTNBUX it is not an ideal carry gun. It is somewhat large for that use. The XDM is an excellent gun at a reasonable price point. Take a look at the new Springfield XDS which should be shipping to retailers any day. It is a single stack .45 with a polymer frame. It is light weight and I believe only 1" thick. It should be an excellent carry/defense gun with the only drawback being the low round capacity of 5 +1.

Another smallish gun to look at is the Taurus 709 Slim. It is a very nice carry gun that your wife would likely enjoy shooting as it is a single stack keeping the grip size to a manageable size. One more to consider is a Sig Sauer P238. It is a metal framed 380 that is great to shoot. It does not kick nearly as much as the Ruger LCP or the Taurus TCP and the sights are far better. I carry one with an extended mag when I leave the Kimber at home.

Have you considered the FN FNX? If I could find one in black I'd snatch it up. Cabelas carries them but only in two-tone which I don't particularly care for. I'll probably just have the local gun shop order one for me if I ever get around to it. Either that or the Sig P250 in the new diamond plate design. Maybe both. smile

Both guns are gonna primarily be range guns, just kept in the nightstand for personal defense. I'm sure I'll carry it on occasion, but mainly I want a gun that is fun to shoot & manageable, especially for my wife as she has little experience. Sometime in the future I'll be buying something as a full-time carry gun for myself, but that's a little farther down the road.

Even though the FN you mentioned is a neat gun and I also prefer something that you won't see the guy next to you at the range shooting, for $1000 you can get get two, good handguns and you'll probably be ahead in the long run based on what your goals are.

^x2 what lmit said

Having just got into handguns a couple years ago Im sure glade i didnt spend a grand on my first. Once you shoot a few you'll find out what you like and dont like then something different or a new model will come out such as the xds.. (now i want that one lol) anyway id get a mid range quailty gun for your first and then save $500 and pick out on you really like based off what you learned from your first one. BUT idk your finacial situation if you got the cash to many guns are like to much fun! theres no such thing.

I shot the FN 5.7 last weekend. While it was a blast to shoot and unique in how if fires basically rifle ammo I am in no hurry to buy one! I found it very light, very low recoil with high round capacity and extremely accurate. What I did find difficult to swallow was the price tag of both the gun and the price of the ammo. I believe around $25 a box and only FN makes the ammo.

I would not call this a "first" handgun weapon but an addition to collection that is looking for niche gun.

If you want an FN on the cheap, get a FNP-9. They are going for cheap since they released the newer FNX version. I have a FNP-40 and it's a sweet range gun, I just wish it was in 9mm.

Picked up a FNX-9 (black on black) today at Fleet Farm and hope to give it a go tomorrow. smile

Man, those 17 round magazines are a bugger to load and my thumb agrees.

Side note: Talking to the guy behind the counter at FF today and he said they are getting into the handgun market and there is more to come (they also have AR's now). I was there shopping for fishing supplies and decided to wander over to the firearms area to see what they had and was surprised to see FN's, Glocks, and Sigs, to name a few. He said they just got them in the past few weeks. Another option for those looking...

Not noticing any rattle from the magazines on this one, although I've read that they've made some improvements over the first batch of FNX's and their mags. This one was made in February so it's pretty fresh off the press.

My Sunday plans fell through but I finally made it to the range today to put the first rounds though the FNX which ran like a sewing machine. 150 rounds of Federal American Eagle without a hiccup. The trigger take-up on the first round (uncocked) seems like a mile before it finally breaks but really isn't that unusual for a DA/SA, although seems a bit longer than my Ruger P345. Just a data point that has to be remembered if shooting from that condition.

I have one.

Spends more time in the darkness of my safe than out in the light of day.

I bought it so I have ammo compatibility with my PS90..........well that is what I told my wife. wink

It is a nice gun and when I bring them to the range I get a lot of people that want to look at them and shoot them.

Fish, for about 1/3 the price you could pick up a KelTec PMR-30 ... which is basically designed after the FN FiveseveN. 30 rds. of .22 mag ... I agree with the other posters, the beretta and FN are both too bulky for carry, and the availability and price tag on the FN (and it's ammo) would be enough to shy me away from purchasing it as a range gun. My primary carry gun is a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145 ... roughly the same size as the xd ... chambered in .45 auto with a loaded capacity of 10+1 (12+1 if you use 24/7 pro mags) ... I believe I paid around $325 brand new for mine, and have not had an issue with it whatsoever. Feeds everything I give it reliably. It's a fun gun to shoot as well ... surprisingly light on recoil (well, as light as a polymer frame .45 can be ha) ... and it brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it.