• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

black hills hunt

kevfish1

It sure can be tough.

It can also be a blast. Too bad about the weather. I can relate. We got 3 feet two days into our 4 day trip the last time I was out there. We worked some birds and had some close calls but came home empty handed too.

I like headuing there a little later in the season but it can still happen.

Hope you had a good time though.

Oh I feel your pain Kevfish1. Sounds similar to our hunt last year out there. 40 mph winds and rain and snow. The joys of the Hills! We have had the wind, rain and snow to 80 degrees out there. Just too bad you guys didn't even get into any birds. Where did you guys hunt out of?

blm,

Welcome to HSO!

I've found that an aggressive run and gun approach works well. Don't get too hung up on hunting sign as these Merriams cover a lot of ground. So sign from earlier in the day may be made by birds that are now 10 miles away and they might not return for a couple days. I made this mistake my first trip and spent two days hunt fairly fresh sign without seeing or hearing a bird. Talked to the locals, who are largely very friendly, and they gave me a few areas to try and suggest a move and call approach. We had 2 birds on the ground within 3 hours of leaving town.

It's always windy out there is seems but the birds continue to be pretty vocal all day. I really like a boxcall that'll cut through the wind. Make sure you check out a couple possible set up spots before you call. It can happen very fast and if you spend too much time looking around you'll spook birds that are running to you. I've also had good luck getting a response with a crow call.

Enjoy the beautiful scenery as these birds will pull you far off the beaten path.

Good Luck!!!

Yeah, it was another nasty opener in the Hills. At least this year the birds have dispursed into the high country. We saw and heard a few but no shots. Bro held off when two toms had their necks twisted together 20 feet away. When they finally seperated he had no shot. I had one hang to steps too far called in from the roost.

Bottom line: The bird count is way down the past two season or so. First the pine beatle so the dead trees where cut leaving the few live ones to be blown over! A lot a roost and loofing areas are just gone. Only need a good hatch or two to start the swing up.

Saw a lot of elk though

Also just back from Black Hills. One bird for five hunters. Hens ran form box calls. Lots of road hunters driving in walk-ins and blowing a couple chances. {MN tags}

ggo trip though good time was had by all. still could go back if wife would let me whistle

My brother is out there right now on a work trip but got a tag to do some hunting while he is there. Scouted the first day, shot his turkey the next day. 20.5 lb,8.5 inch beard, 1 inch spurs for his Merriam. Pretty cool, and his first turkey. "run and gun" as mentioned above worked for him, did a lot of moving around, ended up getting his by making a fast move to intercept a group and setting up and doing a very short set of calling.

As of today, the weather report shows rain and snow for next weekend. My wife and I hunted in the rain in Minnesota this weekend with no luck. Anyone have any advice for what to do in the Black Hills if we are getting rained/snowed on.

Hopefully the weather man changes his mind before Friday!

Out in the Hills the birds seem to just shut down and go quiet in poor weather. If it is snowing they might not even leave the tree. The extended forecast I just looked at didn't seem too bad for Sat/Sun so things could change. If it gets to be Friday though and it is going to rain and snow all weekend, I'd personally see about postponing the trip another week if possible...

I've hunted after the snow with good success but during the storm it's pretty tough. It gets pretty tough to cover ground when there's more than a foot of snow on the ground. There are lots of pasture and open areas that can be good during a light to moderate rain.