• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paddle Holder for Solo Canoe

I'm looking for something that can hold my kayak paddle out of the way while I fish. I'm thinking of a rack on the outside of the canoe that I can just rest it on.

Anyone know of anything like this?

I've never thought of making such a thing. Heck, I've never really had a problem just resting it on the gunwaless...it's never fell off, and it seems to sit there (either against my thights if I'm kneeling or near my knees if I'm sitting) without getting in my way at all.

I'm curious: What problems do you have with the paddle? Maybe that will help design a fix...

I ran into this as well. I just wanted to make sure it would stay put when needed. I found some rhino ATV racks at FF and mounted them on the outside of my Kayak. They have rubber forks/grips that hold whatever; extra rod(s), net, paddle. They are 3"-4" tall with rubber teeth to help hold things in. I believe they are sold as a gun rack for your ATV. Everything stays put and out of the way once you get used to it.

They do stick out a bit and look a little funny when not in use (cruising with the wife) so I'm working on making a flat mounting plate that will stay on the yak at all times and I'll just bolt the forks to those when I go out fishing.

I know you mentioned it for a canoe but I'm assuming you'd be able to get them set how you'd like. I have a pungo 12 foot kayak that I put them on.

I have an Old Town Loon tandem kayak that I purchased several years ago that came with a paddle holder. It's just one of those bungee style cords that you see on many kayaks to hold things in place. This cord runs parallel to the water just to the side of where you sit, on the outside of the kayak. It works great.

I'm sure you can either buy these and attach them to your kayak, or even rig one up. Its a fairly simple desing...you hardly notice it when your not using it... and it works great.

Good luck.