• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

For all you Euell Gibbon nuts now is the time to go out and get you some!

Nettles are rich in both calcium and iron, as well as vitamins A and C. Waayyy back in the day, for people who did not have much meat or fruit, they made a significant contribution to the diet. Nettle soup and tea and has long been regarded as a healthy meal / tonic..... in the spring the young nettles are chalk full of nutrients, iron, and natural histamines, which can increase the production of haemoglobin in the blood. They kind of taste like "spinach with a kick" that comes from the silicic and formic acid, which is the cause of the "sting". But by later spring the nettles get tough and stringy, and much more painful wink Every year I make up a few batches of Nettle Wedding Soup....which just substitutes for spinach in the classic Italian dish. When cooking with them, I only harvest the tops and just boil them in a separate container for a few minutes to remove most of the "kick." Will post some pics later.....enjoy shocked

I also thought they were strange to eat after being stung by them all my life but a friend convinced me and I gave it a try. My favorite way to have them is we cut the leafy tops wash them under water using a strainer and then throw them in a pot of boiling water after i figured they are cooked 10 min or so for me, then i put them in with mashed potatoes and whip it up, adds great color to the dish also. Also i add a few chopped up ramps and a clove of garlic Yumm.

So finally got around to making the soup. It is essentially chicken stock with rice soup with italian seasonings and nettle topped off with some freshly grated parm. cheese. Rather tastey! Will also have to try those taters Fishdeer mentioned.

full-27018-19778-2012_04_24_11_48_59_62.

Ok so the settlers got the nutritional benefits they were needing in their diet. Now, how do the nettles taste? Or does the soup cover up their taste? Do you eat them so you can say you did, for the vitamins etc., or because you really like the way they taste?

Do you eat them so you can say you did, for the vitamins etc., or because you really like the way they taste?

Probably for the same reasons you post about eating ramps and fiddleheads. This is the edible forum? It is just another leafy green that happens to be very nutrtitous and just trying to have a little fun, because we normally just think of them as the fing plant that stings us. Actually really do enjoy taking my young son outside and exploring instead of watching cartoons on tv. I think this offers him better life skills. Too see him beaming when he proudly displays our bounty to mom is priceless and he really enjoys helping to prepare and cook these things also. The cattails are almost ready to pull....that is a huge messy/dirty good time .....and yes they also taste good wink

I think I'll stick with the spinach...love spinach. There's different kinds of nettle and some of it (I hear) can be downright dangerous. The one pictured here is the one I see most often...and the one I feared most out at grampa's farm as a kid. Theres another type I see down along the Root River while trout fishing...nasty stuff but it might taste ok?

Looks like there is at least one other "dimwitted folk" out there grin I usually boil them a few 3 three minutes or so, rinse, and squeeze out the excess moisture. Have read simply soaking mellows them out, like the idea of a firmer texture, but have never been brave enough to try that out. Feel free to do so and let us know how it goes smile

I sampled some last week with a friend that knows textbooks worth of wild foraging. She showed me how to pick them without getting stung and how to smooth down the needle portions under the leaf. Eaten raw, they taste very similar to fresh green beans right out of the garden. Very good.