• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Grills

Well I'm in the market for a new grill as my old charbroil has had it's innerds replaced several times and it's just getting old and tired, (kinda like me). When looking for new grills I find the conventional and infrared models. Sounds like the infrared grills are the cats meow for steaks. But I grill, chicken, ribs, seafood, roasts, etc and wonder if the focussed heat will work well for these applications.

Any grillers out there?

I also use a Weber for grilling several things as well. I like this best for indirect grilling. But the propane sure is convenient for burgers, steaks, chicken and such.

So if anyone has been using the infrared grills it sure would be nice to hear your thoughts.

I've checked this thread a couple of times looking to see if anyone posted anything too. I have a 12 year old cheapo grill with only one working burner. I was thinking of waiting until the fall when they go on sale to upgrade.

i was looking for a larger grill/smoker myself. i was looking at the Medow Creek products. they have a dealer in New Richmond Wisconsin that is close. they have something for everyone. i like the way their products are made and i want something that lasts me for awhile. good luck.

This will be the 3rd year on a Char-Broil Quantum Infrared ( bought at Lowes ) and so far it's been the best grill I've used. It's not shy about burning fuel, it's a 4 burner model. Cooked fish, hamburgers, steaks, pork, brats and hot dogs, whole chickens ( legs, thighs and breast too ) and veggies and its all turned out very good. Flareups are well controlled.

Looked at the reviews and some complained about rusting of the grill grates and what not ( it's all stainless including the burner ) but I've found that if you are persistant about cleaning them you won't have much trouble, I thoughly clean up the grate system about 2 - 3 times during the summer and oil them up good for winter storage, so far so good.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Just regular gas on mine. Older Series A from Weber 2004. I cook just about anything on it. Switched over to the stainless grates this year. Porcelain last me about 3 to 4 years, talked with a guy at the store about the stainless and trying them. I try to burn it off after each use. And I set the timer on the stove to beep after a few minutes so I don't forget it on! lol

Thanks MN Mike and eyeguy2.

We use ours year round as well. We are looking at a couple of the Charbroil Infrared grills as well as the conventional grills. One with the stainless grates and the other with porcelain.

I bought a Weber Spirit S-320 last fall and am really liking it over the cheap Kenmoore I previously had. It gets up to +500* fairly quickly, even in winter. The Kenmoore I had had been on it's last leg for 2-3 year.....so I really only got 4 good years out of it. Ended up getting the Spirit S-320 on a closeout deal for $360 at Home Depot ($580 reg). If I had the money I would have been looking at the Genesis model with the front knobs, I don't like the knobs on the side where mine are as they take of space of where you could set plates and things. I like the porcelain coated cast iron grates but I am curious to see how long they last (I try to keep then covered with grease/oil from cooking). Most say to go with the stainless steel as they should last a long time.

I heard about Traeger Wood Pellet grills after I bought mine, and I think they may be worth investigating as well.

I bought a $250 Kenmore grill at Sears in 2001. It's still going strong and I just replaced the burner and grease guard. I use it year round and it's sat outside for 11 years. I just make sure to keep a nice cover over it. No rust and I don't clean it. I'm not sure why someone would pay extra for stainless steel unless you like the look and like washing the exterior to keep it shiny.

In my view, just find something with the right options and the longevity (Weber, Charbroil, Kenmore, etc.) that you can get replacement parts. It will happen to all grills and costs maybe $50 every 5-10 years to replace parts.

As for infrared, I hear lots of good things about them. You can convert most regular gas grills to infrared so (I believe) you can go back and forth between the two. It requires swapping parts in and out but it offers you the most options.

I have a Kenmore that's going on it's 2nd or 3rd year, and I don't think it'll make one more? I purchased a new Weber gas grill right before I purchased the Kenmore, and after one month of ownership and Weber's lousy cust. service, I'd never purchase a Weber again! Now I'm interested in this thread as I would like a grill that will cook well and last more than 3-4 years.

I have the Char-Broil 4 burner w/a side burner from Home Depot. I have had it for probably 5-6 years. It is a great grill. Gets nice and hot for searing steaks, but can be turned down nice and low as well. Price is $299 right now. Last year I did have to replace the burners, but it was pretty cheap getting the parts online.

I have a Weber Silver gas grill, but I believe they are now discontinued. I think it's about 13 years old. The only thing I have replaced is the flavorizer bars. My grill came with the all cast iron grates (no coatings on them). I keep them clean and oiled and they look almost brand new. I grill at least 2-3 times per week all year, so I'd say the grill has held up well. Oh the ignitor just went out, so until I get around to replacing it, I just light it with a match.

+1 for Weber. I bought a Spirit nearly 5 years ago and no complaints. It's the smallest most basic gas grill Weber makes/made. Most dependable grill I've had so far but before then I was usually buying the $99 specials. I'm sure most are great if you do your homework on the material used/set-up. My father in law got one of those stok's last summer and really likes it. I get a kick out of Weber's 25 year warranty on the box/structure. "Has anyone ever taken you up on that?" I asked the support line when I bought it and was asking operational-related questions. "Yep, the guy said. We get old timers who call us 15 years down the road. We send em the parts but the rest is up to them!"

I have a charbroil that i got in the late 90's, it is still running. It is a 3 burner as back then that was the thing to have. 4 burner was for the rich. I have never replaced anything on it, just give it a scrape when it is hot and throw on the food. It has steel grates vs stainless or wire. They look like a drain grate that you see in a road that lets water into the sewer. One down fall is it will suck up the gas quick, when i turn it to high, the regulator just hums. Oh well maybe i will talk my wife into a new one, we grill at least 3 times a week.

I've had really good luck with charbroil grills and like someone said they are really good about stocking replacement parts if needed.

Think I'll give the infrared grill a try. Seem like they are rated pretty high but sometimes struggle pulling the trigger on new stuff I don't know a lot about.

Mine is a weber genesis silver. It has served us very well. Many critter parts have been on the grates. Just gave it a quick wipedown. Still lookin good. :>)

full-27930-19640-grill.jpg

I have a 9 year old Silver Genesis B (3 burner) similar to this. Gave it its first good cleaning this spring and is running like a champ. Only thing I have replaced is the Flavorizer bars last year, everything else is original including the igniter (still works).

stainless it looks like, never have replaced the burner. I put the stainless bars and grates in last summer. still in the same spot year round. Only problem is my sons lab knocked it over in December and the handle broke. Gorilla glue fixed it right up. smile