• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swim Raft

deerminator

Question

Any cabin or lakeshore homeowners that have them and prefer on sort over the other? My kids are getting old enough know where I think they would use it a lot and I've checked out the heavy duty plastic or resin foam filled ones with the flip up chairs and table and the old style aluminum ones with pontoon or plastic floats under them. I've been checking out a certain list bay preceded by e and not much out there so I thought I might as well go new if I do buy. Any input from anyone who has a swim raft and likes or dislikes it appreciated. Thx.

10 answers to this question

Thanks for the input. I was actually looking at the Otter brand. It looks like they must be owned by Hewitt or sold by them now because that's where all the info is on them. They have the flip up seats and pop up table and a portal for...an big umbrella! Now that would make you look like a fancy pants. Don't forget to crank that thing down before a windy day. lol. I've also been checking out the aluminum ones but think I'm going to go with one of the plastic or resin ones. It seems like some sit higher out of the water than the others with those. I can see the advantages to both but would rather go higher so you're not sitting in water all the time. Thanks guys.

I'm sorry but I have read this thread and looked up the rig that is being suggested. It seems a bit over the top to me. How much does it cost? How big is it? Does it exceed the allowable size according to the DNR regs on dock size?

I guess I am getting old but a swim raft to me is 4 barrels, some 2X8 and plywood, a ladder to get up onto it, and a place for kids to screw around. Not some lounge chair/table setup for adults to have cocktails on.

It's 8 x 10 and pefectly legal according to the DNR. You just need to get a permit from the county sheriff. They're about the same price as an alumnium raft all the major manufacturers make. In terms of what a swim raft should be, what about boats? Should everyone just get a 12 footer with bench seats and some paddles. That works great for some. Others want something different. I hardly call a swim raft like this extravagant when others are trading in boats, snowmobiles and jetskis every couple years. Something like this would last the rest of your life in all likelihood.

We have a plastic one I bought about 5 years ago. It is not an Otter but I cant recall the name of it, but I would not recommend it as it sprung a leak 3 different times on the seal. The company keeps coming out and fixing it but I may get rid of it this summer. I really like the older aluminum pontoon style ones.