• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advantages/Disadvantages of Super Fast Baitcasting Reels

mlvaj

Just wondering what are teh advantages/disadvantages to fishing with a fast reel? I'm tempted to get the new Lew's Tournament speed reel very soon. Either that or, I can listen to some of you guys' preferences on reels. I'm also looking to get either a shimano Cumara or Crucial to go with this new reel. What are your thoughts? Either way, let me know what I'm getting myself into as I already spent enough money already and the season is just getting started and hot down on the mightyssippi. To say that I am obssess about bass fishing is just an understatement, it's called passion!

Not sure if it's relevant for your situation, but if you ever fish out of a canoe, a high-speed reel allows you to make longer casts and still keep the fish "stuck" after the hookset. And it allows you to get them on top of the water more easily so they're less likely to get stuck down in the weeds.

Hiya -

To me, totally depends on what you're using it for. For hard pulling moving baits like deep diving cranks, etc., a lower speed (5:1) reel makes sense. Easier/less effort to pull in water resistant baits like big crankbaits, and a little easier to hit both ends of the spectrum speed-wise. If it's a technique where you manipulate the lure with the rod tip, and the reel mainly takes up slack, like jigs, texas rigs, jerkbaits, lipless crankbaits, etc., high speed (7:1) reels make more sense. If it's a do-everything rod/reel combo, or for stuff other than the two extremes, split the difference and get something in the 6:1 range.

My $.02.

RK

I have two 7.1:1 and I don't like them. I'm hyper enough on the reel handle with cranks and spinnerbaits as it is. I really need to dial it down when I'm using cranks and Spinners. I am going to stick one on my frog rod this year because I don't reel those in, I just hop them along then take in the slack. The other one is going on my WTD rod because that is basically what I do with them also. Just my 2c

I’m a speed reel junky. All my bait casters have a 7 or higher gear ratio. Like bass_BLASTER mentioned, you can always slow it down. To make a slow reel go faster takes a lot more effort than to make a fast reel slow down. Even when cranking I use a 7 or higher gear ratio.

I use a 7.1:1 on my heavy flippin/pitching rod and my frog rod. To me it makes sense because you will cut down time when reeling in the lure while its in non productive water and you can make more presentations throughout the day. I also like have the extra line pick up when trying to get fish away from heavy cover.

You also have to take in to consideration the spool size. some 7.1 reels may pick up 27" inches per turn. others may pick up 32" inches per turn. The amount of line on the reel matters to. I agree with RK as well. depending on the type of lure usually dictates what ratio reel i use. I don't have a ton of combos so some have ratios in the 6's and some in the 7's and my deep cranking rod is a 5.1 Its a total preference thing. A guy can fish with a 12 foot cane pole and no reel if he wants or can have a 7.1 reel on a 500 dollar rod. All in what you like.

If your in a boat with the electric motor going and your moving along casting a crank bait parallel to weed line in front of the boat, you might want to use a 7+ speed reel to compensate for the boat speed.

The guys have mentioned great points on advantages and disadvantages. I say if bass fishing is your "passion" and your money dept is limitless, buy one of each for your specific needs. My opinion, if I could only afford just one or two, I go with a 7+ speed reel.

The slower the better for me. more power and I catch way more fish as my lure stays in the "zone" longer. I think I might have on reel thats faster than 6.0-1 and there is a bobber on it.