• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Sauces To Brush on Chicken on the GRILL!!

i wanted something like a great sauce like the chinese resturants have. that nice sweet and tangy sauce that carmelizes after brushing on the wings in the last phase of the grilling proccess. so here is one i tried:

Orange Sauce Chicken Wings

1 cup white sugar

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbls conrstarch

1 tbls flour

1 1/4 cup orange juice

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup water

1 tbls butter

1 tbls grated orange zest

1 tbls grated lemon zest

1 tbls chili garlic sauce [i added this to this recipe]

in a medium saucepan mix together the sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, cornstarch, and 1 tbls of flour. then stir in the orange juicee, lemon juice, chile garic sauce, and 1/2 cup water. mix all together and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils. let boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat. add 1 tablespoon of butter, the orange and lemon rind to the orange sauce and stir together.

i then put the wings {3 pound bag] in a bowl and put 3/4 of the sauce over the wings. made sure all the wings were covered by the sauce real good and then put the wings in a baking pan and baked them in the oven at 350 until just about done. about 1 1/2 hours.

i then got the grill ready for indirect charcoal heat. i put the wings on the grill and basted them until well carmalized with the remaining sauce from the baking pan and the left over sauce i reserved. i also sprinkled the wings with roasted sesame seeds during the grilling proccess. so i would like some of your ideas about sauces for chicken on the grill. good luck.

we already had it and it was good. the thing with these sauces is, is it too sweet or not enough heat. i like the way it carmalizes [kind of sticky]. cant make everybody happy though. my wife likes it crispy. didn't stop her for eating her share though.

kind of like carmalizing texture on ribs. the Asian methods of preparing food has always interested me. it's amazing how the combination of heat and sweet are blended into a wonderful flavor. good luck.

Reinhardt:

With your interest in Asian foods I'm going to suggest Huli-Huli chicken, which is basically a Hawaiian teriyaki sauce. This is one I tried in a BBQ competition:

1/3 C ketchup

1/3 C soy sauce

1/4 C brown sugar

1/4 C honey

1/4 C sherry

1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil

1-2 pieces ginger, crushed

3-4 cloves garlic, crushed

Worchestershire sauce to taste

Sriracha or Asian chili paste to taste

1 lemon, juiced

I've also added rice wine vinegar and a can of pineapple juice concentrate, which seems more Teriyaki style.

I thought it had many good flavors, and was very tasty. I did as you did and used some of the sauce as a marinade and then brushed the rest on near the end of the time on the grill.

eyes317

my favorite chicken sauce(and my familys' too) is a kind of a "sweet-hot" BBQ sauce i grew up on that i tweek to my audiences' preference(spicyness)

1c ketchup

1c blackstrap mollassas

1c apple cider viniger(must be apple cider)

put it in a pot and bring to a low simmer then start seasoning to taste with:(measurements are approx)

couple cloves garlic minced

tablespoon, or 2 of chilipowder

at least one teaspoon of cayanne

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon of ground ginger

teaspoon of curry powder

a touch of worstercer sauce

let it simmer until it thickens up just a bit and until it no longer has that viniger "bite" when you smell it(maybe 10-15 min. don't let it actually boil or you will burn all the sugars in the mollassas.

I usually let the chicken soak in it before cooking while it comes to room temp then baste each side while cooking, after flipping(every 5 min or so on a grill). IDK the ketchup mollassas and vinigar are the base, you guys play with the taste. enjoy