• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training 6 yr old lab to grouse hunt?

northernflyer

I have a soon to be 6 year old black lab that I would like to train to grouse hunt. I am hoping he is not too old. I was wondering if anyone has some links to some good information on how to train him? He has had some training for pheasants when he was younger, but nothing too formal. I have pheasant hunted with him and done some limited grouse hunting. He is a natural hunter but I am looking for some info on making him a little more polished. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If a dog gets "birdie" and understands what your doing, is half the battle with a 6 y/o. After you drop the 1st Grouse, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

If you can keep him close, that would be the main thing. Having someone running around within 15-20 yards from you, is all you really need.

The key to it is birds birds birds, Get some pigeons and get it so that the dog finds birds every time out, start it off easy and make it progressively harder. You want the dog to succeed each and every time when training. Eventually the dog knows that there will be birds out there and will bust his butt to find them. As the other poster put once he gets that first grouse smell he will know that this is what the boss is after. Have fun and good luck