• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a few 870's and you can not beat that gun so many options for it also.

Not to hijack the thread, but doesn't the 870 have a problem with the safety not working properly if the gun is dropped or has a sudden impact. Just read an article on it the other day.

Not to hijack the thread, but doesn't the 870 have a problem with the safety not working properly if the gun is dropped or has a sudden impact. Just read an article on it the other day.

Not one of the Five that I have or even my 11-48,11-87 or 1100 have had that problem that I am aware of.

Although IMO any gun is at risk of going off if droppedor has a sudden impact.

I saw a report on NBC that listed the 870 as one of the models with problems of the trigger going off. I agree with Gordie that all guns have a chance of the gun going off if there drop.

I have witness a remington 700 going off everytime you close the bolt, so I don't trust any Remington now because of that. Go with the Benelli.

Don't rule out the Winchester. Not sure why they don't get much attention. Personally never shot one but seem to get good reviews. Grew up on 870's but would now grab my Nova everytime if I was forced to set down one of the autos.

Have personnally witnessed 2 870's with malfunctioning safeties. In both cases, the shooters had questionable handling methods and both guns looked to have not had the best of care. In neither case though was the gun dropped at or near the time of the incidents. Been years ago and can't remember exact details but did have both guns in my hands and duplicated misfire to prove it was a mechanical failure. Only 2 guns that have ever spooked me but that's not what turned me away from them.

FWIW - on the BPS, make sure you are able to actually shoot it before buying. The forearm is much farther forward, and your leading arm is way out farther than other pumps, because of the bottom eject. Was akward for me, and I don't really have short arms.

I had an 870 Wingmaster for 12 years, never had a safety problem, and I loved how it fit. My problem was that it developed a loading problem that three gunsmoths couldn't fix. I think it was a lifter, but I traded it in so can't tell. Worked great up till then - I was one of only 2 people to ever have a problem with a Wingmaster wink

Have shot a Nova some, but I personally just don't like the look of it. It belongs in the movie Tron, not a duckblind wink hehe, j/k.

Used to use a Winchester a bit. Worked fine, rattled a bit, but never missed a beat. Good luck, they are all good, and honestly don't forget that old standby the Mossberg 500. Cheap and reliable. A bit rattly, but always work. Have fun trying them all out, shoot them all before buying.

i'd check out the BPS, I have one, I received it after my grandfather passed... Its the gun I started with, and I love it yet to this day... I have shot one in a 10ga though, and do find they are a stretch to hang on to.

I since then bought a super x2, which I traded last year for a browning maxus, so the BPS spends a lot of time on the rack, and not in the blind... Partially because its a non-changable choke with a full pattern, and partially because I don't want to beat it up duck hunting. It gets out for pheasants, and actually is gun I go to for deer hunting as it shoots slugs the best out of all of them I have... don't care to push them out of that full choke real bad, but the x2 didn't handle them well at all... The maxus took this years deer though... So, Maybe it'll shoot them better...

Good luck... 870S do seem to be a good go to gun for the money though... Half the guys I hunt with have one in the cabinet...

Have fun!

I have the Stoger P2000 auto and its a great gun for ducks and geese and if I was going to go pheasant hunting this is the gun I would grab out of my cabinet as it is light weight and carrys very easy.

if you dont like the recoil you can install a mercury recoil reduction system and a limb savor butt pad and its like your shooting a 20 ga

I owned a Stoeger P350 and it wouldn't cycle shells. Brought it in twice and still never worked. I ended up selling it and getting the benelli super nova. Couldnt be happier with it!