• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with starting an '81 9.9 horsepower evinrude

kg25

Hi,

I've got an '81 9.9 horsepower evinrude that I am having some trouble getting started consistently. I got the motor mid summer last year and didn't have any issues until this spring. I took it out last week and it seems to take quite a few pulls to get it started if I get it started at all, but ran fine once i was able to get it started. However it wouldnt start at the end of the day on the lake, and I needed the trolling motor to get me back to the launch. I was noticing the primer bulb wasn't getting firm when pumping it. The tank and fuel line were a little older so I decided to replace them. I bought a new 3 gallon tank, fuel line connector and new fuel line kit.

I hooked all the new stuff up and still the primer bulb didn't get firm. Today, after pumping the bulb a bunch and it not getting firm i tried starting it with the muffs on...after 4-5 pulls with the choke out it wouldnt start, I then put the choke in and it started after 2 pulls. It runs fine at idle and and it ran fine when I got it started on the lake last week.

I don't have much experience with outboards, any thoughts on why I'm having trouble starting it or why the bulb won't get firm?

Also, it was winterized last fall and I am using new gas.

Thanks!

Have you taken the plugs out and looked at them? They may be fouled. Also look for gas leaks when pumping the bulb, any leaks can prevent the bulb from getting firm as well as an inlet needle that's not seating. Also, try holding the bulb with the arrow pointing up.