• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing outside of season question

RangeFishing

So ive always wondered, outside of Bass/Northern and Walleye fishing seasons, are you allowed to fish FOR them but catch and release?

Like if i go to a local river that produces awesome walleye in the spring, can i throw in a minnow and hook and bottom fish for them if I release?

Legal yes-- Ethical no. Just as legal as large spinner baits being thrown into rushes for crappies and all thats being caught are bass and northerns.

ya see i thought about this, i could easily say im fishing for suckers.....but I respect nature too much. Laws are in place for a reason!

the only places you could target spring walleye are on certain border waters(ie MN/WI (mississippi) & MN/ND(red river)). there is also pool 2 on the mississippi(c&r only for eyes,sauger, and bass. season here is continuous). these are the areas where most of those pics are coming from.

Legal yes-- Ethical no. Just as legal as large spinner baits being thrown into rushes for crappies and all thats being caught are bass and northerns.

Wrong - The Regs say it is illegal to target fish that are out of season. If you are out there throwing spoons at a weed bed catching northers a week before season you can be issued a ticket. If you are fishing for crappie the DNR will expect you to be using methods to catch crappie.

Look at the original question. Fishing with minnows. Minnows are used to catch many different species of fish and there are no regulations that say what you can use and what you can't try to use to catch any species of fish, other than the regs. for certain trout streams and designated trout lakes. On a legal line of course.

So ive always wondered, outside of Bass/Northern and Walleye fishing seasons, are you allowed to fish FOR them but catch and release?

Like if i go to a local river that produces awesome walleye in the spring, can i throw in a minnow and hook and bottom fish for them if I release?

Juneau4,

Looking at the orginal question, RangeFishing states "fish FOR". This means he is targeting them, which makes it against the regulations.

thats kinda what i figured! was never quite sure. I always see pics of people catching walleye this time of year and get jealous.

Not everyone on this HSOforum is from the same area. There are a fair number of waters that can be fished year-round throughout the midwest.