• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait box for the dock

fishingstar

looking to build a new bait box to store bait next to my dock.

I have a wooden box now but it needs to be replaced. Just looking

for any tips or suggestions. I'm thinking of using a plastic laundry

hamper with mesh over the holes on the side.

thanks

Dan

A lot of guys have used washing machine drums. Get one at the salvage yard. Add a wooden top and you are done. The drums last many years and the holes allow for fresh water exchange without beating your minnows to death with waves. My last wire bait box was destroyed when I used as a live well at the dock. Something ripped the end open.

I take a 5-gallon pail, drill a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in it, starting about 3 inches up from the bottom, tie a rope to the handle, put a rock in it for weight, and lower it off the end of the dock. If you have lots of minnow, make a couple of them. Works for me.

I use a wire rabbit cage for a live well at the cabin. I put a bunch of zip ties on it to really hold it together well. I have a long rope on it and can drop it off the dock in any depth i want. It works great. The cages are only 15 to 20 dollars. Zip ties are cheap. For minnows you would also need to wrap the cage with a smaller wire mesh?..or something similar..Just a thought...Also very very light!!