• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-Collars - Which is the Best?

WildFan10

I am looking into getting my first e-collar for my yellow lab. I would like it to have multiple functions, including a tone and/or vibrate setting(s). I will be doing the training myself. Is there a particular brand/model people are happy with? What are things to look out for/consider when choosing my first collar? I am willing to spend some money on it if it is worth it, and will last. Any recommendations/suggestions of collars to consider would be appreciated! Thanks.

Tritronics with out a doubt hands down is the best thing out there. I have used them for close to 15 years and never had an issue, and I am talking day in and day out use, not just a weekend here and there. It depends on what you are going to use if for as far as the model you want. Take a good look and if you can find some folks close to you that have different models put your hands on them

I'm a Dogtra guy myself and have had the same one going on 7 years. i keep thinking this is the year I'll have to replace the batteries but they just won't die. I still get a full days use and the beeper running all day.

I like Tritronics but there are other good brands out there too. Beware of bells & whistles. eCollars, just like everything else have fallen victim to more is better. Make sure that whatever you get does the basics really well.

Tri-tronics as well here. The one I am using I have had for about 15 years. Had to change the batteries in it but that's it and it has seen lots and lots of use. Keep in mind how and where you will be using it. If it is in the yard for obedience, then almost any of them are good enough. In the field or duck boat is where you will see a difference. You will use this piece of equipment a long time, the few exrea dollars will be worth it in this purchase

Glock

Used Tritronics for many years. They were fine collars. I did have a number of warranty returns with my Tritronics collar and the issues were always resolved quickly and at low or no cost. However their technology fell behind Dogtra in my opinion. I have been running Dogtra for the last 6 Years and have yet to have a single issue.

Tone and vibrate features are pretty much useless for me as a retriever trainer. If you want to push the button to make yourself feel better but not actually give the dog a correction, you should reconsider how you give corrections. Consistency in corrects are key to ensuring proper response all the time.

I've been using a TriTronics G2 Pro 200 model for the last 5 years and have not a complaint about it. I've charged it once in March and I've trained a couple dogs with it multiple times a week for the past month and have yet to even worry about charging it. The tube style transmitter is a very natural fit in your hands and the stimulation settings are easy and precise versus the dogtra's which is a smooth turn knob so bumping it might knock it off your desired setting.

Buy TriTronics, they're made in the USA.

I personally use my beeper collar when hunting grouse. I use it on Point only mode. I cant hear a bell anymore and even back when I could where the hell is the dog when the bell stops. I have the TT Upland and love it

do you hunt behind a pointer that covers some ground? The grouse woods of Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota are a bit thick and tough enough to find a close working dog in much lest a mid range pointer

do you hunt behind a pointer that covers some ground? The grouse woods of Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota are a bit thick and tough enough to find a close working dog in much lest a mid range pointer

Sorry, I was thinking beeper as in the tone feature of collars now days. The upland style beepers are great for ranging dogs and are quite functional with their abilities to stop beeping once the dog is on point or using a hawk screech for holding birds.

I've been using Tri-Tronics for 15+ years, currently have a ten year old "upland special", great unit, no problems at all other than having to replace the batteries once. I'm looking at getting another dog and would like the ability to run more than one off the same transmitter. Thus, I've been doing some research on collars lately and I'll be going with Tri-Tronics or the Dogtra.. both units have some nice features. I really wish after ten years, Tri-Tronics would've found a way to reduce the size,(more than they have) of both the transmitter and receiver.