• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best deep-cycle battery for the $$ ??

BleedSiouxGreen

Question

Hey all - wondering if anyone wants to share their opinions here. Thinking about getting a Cabelas AGM battery for my trolling motor, but just wondering if it's worth the cost compared to say an interstate deep cycle, or if you're a believer in the Optimas and should fork up another $50? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Bang for your buck, I'd go with the Cabelas AGM. I've been running the interstates in my boat with very good results out of this set. I take really good care of them making sure the levels are up in each cell and keeping them on a maintainance charger when not in use.

I am going to upgrade to the gell cell batteries when these finally dump out. Had a guy tell me the plates in the gell cells hold up to the abuse of pounding across rough water alot better.

Going with Cabelas brand cause everyone I talk to says they're just as good as Optimas.

Sears, Deka, or Cabela's AGM are the best batteries going if you want to pay to play. I had a set of Deka AGM in my previous boat and they were going strong after 5 years. The three of them cost $700 though. You can buy two or three sets of wet cells for the same money...

The Trojan wet cells sc225 are the best wet cell old style battery out there. Optimas are either loved or hated. I can get optimas for about half price but I don't like the low 155 reserve capacity rating. Most of the big boys will be upwards of 200 in the reserve capacity ratings.

I've got two AGM's from Cabela's and I love them. They are a little pricey, but they are on sale sometimes so that helps and like someone said "you have to pay to play". When my starting batty dies it will be replaced with a AGM as well. The two I have on my trolling motor will run all day and only show 25% done. It's a 80# on a 1700 Fisherman.