• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hakstol INCH Coach of the Year

Bryce

I like INCH but they tried a little too hard with this one. He probably should be fired, Dean Blais would not have gone 2-4 against the Gophers this year. Deano probably would have coasted to a couple of easy wins over Michigan and UMD last year on his way to a title. laugh

They should have award in honor of Hak. A statue of a middle finger.

This.

He had a good year with the no shows and injuries. Not coach of the year good though. Doesn't make any sense to me.

More deserving would be Ferris State guy. A goal or two away from a Natty. Or Mel from Tech. Does anyone really remember how BAD Tech was last year? Also dare I say Jerry York for winning almost 20 in a row at the end of the year.

Bear-read some of Haks stats compared to the other great college hockey coaches out there. He's among the best in the game. He will get his title sooner than later.

Hey, I will defend Hak record all day. Your only point is he hasn't won the main title, OK I will give you that. Its only a matter of time IMO.

Comparing him to Woog is no insult, he did everything Hak has done over a longer period of time its just that he never won the big one. Both right now are very good coaches, they just lack a title which often gets good coaches labeled as great coaches.

As a Gopher fan I would love to see UND go on a 23 year drought. I doubt it happens but a boy can dream.

In the link I posted above Brad Schlossman made a comparison of Hak and Red Bernstern(Mich head coach) which alot of people consider to be the best college hockey coach. In my opinion Jerry York holds that but thats another topic.

Woog had some awesome teams like UND that didn't win it all. I think you could take Minnesota's 1989 team and compare it with UND's last year team. By far both were the best teams that year but were unfortunate weren't there best when it counted the most. I suppose this comparison doesn't help my end of the argument but Woog doesn't coach anymore and Hak best years are still ahead of him. If he's already a good coach with the record he has now then imagine what the next 10 or 15 years he can do.

For now Hak is much closer in comparison to Woog then Red, it's just one of those things where a title is so close but yet so far away and can make or break a coaching career in the eyes of the fans.

Wooger made 6 frozen fours in his first 10 seasons, not to mention 28, 30, and 33 win seasons that he didn't make the FF. He followed that up with 28 and 30 win seasons before the wheels fell off.

Hack is on an impressive run with 5 FF in 8 seasons but he started very hot with 4/4 (as did Woog) and has cooled off a bit. If he doesn't make something happen by the end of his next contract there could be a large gorilla on his back.

Red is kind of a different story all together, he took over a terrible Michigan team and over many seasons pulled them out of the gutter and won two titles over 3 years in the 90's but has slowed of late. It took him 7 seasons just to make the NCAA's, then he went on a great 12 year run with 9 FF appearances and 2 titles. He has made 2 of the past 9 FF's.

Right now Jerry York is on another level, basically a modern college hockey god, no one is even close to him right now. Even if Lucia were to win 2 more title back to back York has been so good for so long you could never match his consistencey.

Ok had to look up York, to start he won a title with Bowling Green for crying out loud. Then he took over a terrible BC team who had not won a title since 1949. In his 4th season he took them to a title game and has been on a tear ever since.

"THE RUN" started in 1998: 10 Frozen Four appearnces in 15 years, 4 second place finishes and 4 National Titles. Yep that is right old Jerry has played in 8 title games in 15 years.

If Sioux fans wonder why we chuckle when they claim UND has the best coaching staff in the country this is why. You simply don't if you aren't cheering for BC.

The only good news is he getting up there in age, 66 or 67 I think. The bad news is he might be getting better.

Wow this turned into a "pile on" Sioux thread. I normally find Schlossman to be pretty decent, but I don't see a Hak to Red connection. Maybe he drank too many brews and meand Blais to Red?

Agree on York being untouchable from a best coach standpoint, and thats really hard for me to say. Red is past his prime. He should have stepped aside to let Mel take the reigns. Hakstol should be compared to the Woog-er now. Also pains me to say he will get his title in the next 6 years.

Can't say the Dogs choke 'cause they only get to the F4 twice every 12 years smile And this <---, which I need to retire when I get some time. Crappy BC, still PO'd about the NCAA's.

Pile on Sioux thread is right Solbes.

I compare the Sioux to the Yankee's. Everybody either likes them or hates them because there always relevant every year. I take the bashing as a complement. It will be interesting when they get there next NCAA title. The Haters will be out in full force on this forum.

smile

Oh and Blais is water under the bridge up here now. He's short timer at UNO now. Blais is more worried about the fishing on Rainy Lake(thats where he will retire likely) than winning a title.

]I'm just glad the the sioux chocked when they ere actually good the last few years. Maybe in about 7 or 8 years you'll get a nother chance

The Sioux don't rebuild they reload every year. They will have shot in everyone of those years. I'm starting to sound cocky but thats just the way it is. They have been that way the last 8 years why would it change now? Am I seeing this through my green colored glasses... Don't answer that last question

Pile on Sioux thread is right Solbes.

I compare the Sioux to the Yankee's. Everybody either likes them or hates them because there always relevant every year. I take the bashing as a complement. It will be interesting when they get there next NCAA title. The Haters will be out in full force on this forum.

The only prblem with that is there are 6 or 7 college hockey teams who you could compare to the yankees so lets just not go there because other then some nice runs and strings of titles there isn't a single team that stands far ahead of the others over time. Michigan was the Yankees back in the day but 7 of thier titles came before 1965 so honestly they haven't done a lot lately.

However I do like the Sioux bashing so lets continue. grin