• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two piece Rod

RawHog

I'm looking to purchase an 8' 6" rod for slinging bucktails. The thing is my rod lockers in my boat have an 8 ft maximum. I'm considering either stepping down to an 8ft for bucktails, or buying a two-piece 8"6. Has anyone ever used a two piece rod? Or would I just be better off throwing an 8ft for bucktails. I Use some pretty big bucktails, im not saying they're massive with oversizes blades, but double cowgirls etc.

I know T.I has a great product with a good price( i'm not sure if he is still giving a discount for HSO members or not). If i remember right, his 9 ft telescoping rods shorten down to 7'-6" .Check out his web site.

Thanks Everybody. For 100 bucks I just got a Two Piece, Shimano Compre, 8'6" rod at the Muskie expo at Concordia tonight. I already love it. I'll be putting a high speed abu on it. This definitely means more dragons slain for me!

My other 2 rods are both Shimano Convergence' 7 ft. One xh, the other is heavy. What specific uses do these rods serve ( don't be afraid to state the obvious) and what do you think my next rod/ real combo should be?

Thanks Everybody. For 100 bucks I just got a Two Piece, Shimano Compre, 8'6" rod at the Muskie expo at Concordia tonight. I already love it. I'll be putting a high speed abu on it. This definitely means more dragons slain for me!

My other 2 rods are both Shimano Convergence' 7 ft. One xh, the other is heavy. What specific uses do these rods serve ( don't be afraid to state the obvious) and what do you think my next rod/ real combo should be?

I am pretty sure shimano discontinued their new two piece compre due to some sort of defect that made the rod keep falling apart in mid cast.

The only way you will get one is if you find it at a store that still has them stocked but I wouldnt buy one. The reason I found this out is because I sent back an old 8ft compre because the tip broke and they sent me back a 7ft6in to replace it.

That was two months ago. They might have come out with a revised version since then. I dont know.

I only use 2-piece rods and absolutely love them. Never had one come apart and they are perfect for storage and/or transporting. I use my 8'6" Fenwick 2-piece rod for throwing bucktails. It's their trolling model but works fabulous for casting. The price was good too. Just wish there were more options for 2-piece rods.

Cowboy that's not very good news. The rod is still there on there HSOforum-http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/rods/muskie/Compre_Muskie_Casting.html.

Did they discontinue the rod within the past week or something? can you pm or post a link of this.

I've used the same 2 shimano convergence's for for five years and I have never had any problems with them breaking. so over the years I've grown a liking for the Muskie rods that Shimano makes at the price, the life time warranty is also very important to me. so I just assumed based on basic logic that the Compre would be a good rod for the price as well.

Has anybody else heard anything about the Shimano Compre 2 piece rods 8'6" being discontinued?

I've been using Compre's for the past 5 years and, as far as I know, they never had a 2 piece until this year...at least not for the past 5 years. I use Compre's because I like the over-the-counter warranty policy they have, which you end up using about once every year or two for each rod. I'm hoping they fixed the issue they had with the blank. Mine all broke about 5" from the tip on hooksets and when fish were in the net.

As far as the new 2 piece 8' and 8'6" rods go...we'll see. I have a one piece I'm taking in this week to warranty and am sure I'll get a 2 piece 8'6". I've heard they are really tip heavy.

You could call shimano. They will fill you in. It sucks because I really liked my 8ft one piece compre but when they introduced their new muskie compre line they stopped making the old version and now their longest one piece is 7ft6in. When they sent me back the 7ft6in it was way to soft. Would have been a great pike rod but I just returned it and purchased a st croix.

I think it had to do with where the rod actually connected. the two pieces came together down lower to the handle and for some reason the design was flawed. I am sure they will fix it but I don't know when. Like I said, it was two months ago so they might have already came out with a new one.

I missed the part of your post that said "new"! Sorry. Hard to believe they've already had/resolved these kinds of issues since they just came out this year. I think it was a horrible decision to go to a 2 piece rod, but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Like you say, lifetime warranty...but if you can't trust them to hold up to a 50 pounder what's the point.

Just went and warrantied my broken Compre. The two piece rods use a friction system to stay together, not something that locks... Not sure how to feel about it. Kinda think after some use it won't stay together...seriously considering gluing it together.

Wax the ferrules and you shouldn't have any problems with rods coming apart. I had a ferrule loosen 4 casts into a new fly rod once and cracked it. I learned that lesson quick.

Thats wasup