• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know their was a thread that talked about removing the membrane but is their any pics showing it being removed? I have some going on this weekend and I am still debating on indirect vs smoking. How much smoke flavor will I loose by indirect vs smoking??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that video. that is very helpfull. this guy i taking the membrane from the backbone side of the rib. i take the butterknife and put it in from the other side bettween the second or third rib down from the broad end and work it down about halfway down and then take a paper towel and grab the membrane. comes off easy. good luck.

I have some going on this weekend and I am still debating on indirect vs smoking. How much smoke flavor will I loose by indirect vs smoking??

I'm not sure what you mean here. Lot's of smokers cook indirectly but still give lots of smoke flavor. What kind of cookers are you considering using?

That's a good video... Sometimes you will get racks that have them removed, Costco ribs for example. But most of the time it's on them. That guy was working with baby back ribs, if you buy spares, trim the flap of meat on the back side, then peel the membrane.

And say, don't forget to remove the membrane on lamb ribs too.

DSC03051a.jpg

Those videos definitely help you figure it out. However, I'll temper you slightly by saying that sometimes it's difficult to get the membrane off. Don't get too discouraged but keep working at it.

If you're indirect cooking on a propane grill, you won't have much smoke flavor and won't get as much bark as smoking or cooking indirectly on a charcoal grill. You can still make very tasty ribs on both types of grills. On charcoal, I indirectly cook ribs wrapped tightly in foil for 3 hours. Then I add more charcoal, open up the foil, and cook ribs indirectly for another hour or two two create some bark. Then if using sauce, I cook directly over the flame for 5-10 minutes each side.

SkunkedAgain, All combination rib cooks produce wonderful ribs.... you might try changing your sequence and see if you can notice a difference. The basic principle is called 3-2-1 ribs. The 3-2-1 represent times in hours of different steps, but are not written is stone..... in fact most folks modify those numbers for a personal touch. Years ago someone named the method 3-2-1 and the name stuck. Actually the 3-2-1 was designed with spare ribs, so keep that in mind too.

Anyway, 3 hours indirect on the cooker will give you maximum smoke flavor, good color, allow the rub to work and give a good start on bark. Then, up to 2 hours in a foil pouch (with some liquid) is actually the tenderizing step. However, the foil time will soften the bark. Next comes the 1 hour step, the ribs come out of the foil and during this last part of the cook, the bark is allowed to set up, and like you mentioned.... sauce can be added during the last 10 minutes or so and allowed to glaze.

In the 3-2-1 method, the foil step is the most adjusted period of time, because some folks want fall-off-the-bone ribs, and some want a little tug to the meat. Most of my rib cooks are more like a 3-1-1, or a 4-1-1/2, or even a 4-1-0.

Nice!! I been smoking an 8lb Butt all day and 2 racks of St Louis for the last 4 hours. Just took the Ribs out, letting them rest in foil in the cooler for an hour, then out to the grill to sauce & finish. Butt is stuck at 175, but should be done in another hour or two. That's just going to get pulled tonight & froze for an annual May fishing trip.

Tt was tight, but got all that good stuff in the 30" Masterbuilt.

thirdeye - I love that 3-2-1 deal. Wish I would have read that about two hours ago. I think I'll still be alright. This is only the second time I've done Ribs.

Good lookin' ribs and nice color too.

Leaky, don't rush your butt, they can hang quite a while before breaking out of the stall. I predict you will have a midnight snack with some pulled pork.

Well I smoked them for 3 hrs at around 210 then I put them in tinfoil and by accident left them on for 3 hrs at 275-300 opened the tin foil and they were almost falling off the bone. Well needless to say they were the best I have ever tasted thanks for the tips. Now if I can figure out how to post pics I could show you.

Good lookin' ribs and nice color too.

Leaky, don't rush your butt, they can hang quite a while before breaking out of the stall. I predict you will have a midnight snack with some pulled pork.

Good Call! Although we had the ribs for a 7:30 dinner, the mightnight snack was perfect. The stall on that slab of meat seemed to take forever and it was about 11:30 by the time it hit temp, rested and got pulled.

Quote:
Good Call! Although we had the ribs for a 7:30 dinner, the mightnight snack was perfect. The stall on that slab of meat seemed to take forever and it was about 11:30 by the time it hit temp, rested and got pulled.

Yeah, it's about the best midnight snack around.... it makes it worth the wait.

Hey RH - Great job on the pic. It's pretty easy once you figure it out. My problem is I take pics with my cell phone and they sure leave a lot to be desired. thirdeyes always look like they were taken with the newest Nikon on the market.

thanks, a big accomplishment for me. had some help from some of the great guys on here. now i got to work on shrinking some of my other pics down so i can post them. pictures are very important at times, especialy on here in the cooking forum. Third Eye is not only a great pitmaster, he is also a accomplished photographer. good luck.