• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Safe RPM's

walleye 4 me

I will look in the manual but I am pretty sure I dont have a limiter. Someone told me once that the prop pitch has something to do with it as well. Didnt make sense to me but what do I know. I have been running it up to between 4000-4200 but then chicken out. Would like to get a little more speed to make those long runs go a little quicker but dont want to risk damaging anything.

I just sold a 2006 glastron mx175 that had a 3.0 volvo penta in it. I would say about 4600 should be max i never let it go over that. Last year a dropped a pitch and put a 4 blade instead of the 3 blade. Gave it alot more low end power and only lost a couple miles off top end but you have to watch the rpms it would rev alot higher top end i just wouldnt go full throttle across the lake. I would still get 40 out of it with me and family in it.

I have a 2000 bayliner fish and ski w/ a 3.0 mercruiser. How do you know where the red line is? Does the prop make a difference? I have an aftermarket SS prop on it but cant remember the pitch. thanks

The range on that is 4400-4800 RPM @ wide open throttle (WOT). This means that with a light load you should be able to be within this range (preferably the higher end) with the throttle fully advanced and your outdrive trimmed. Its perfectly ok to run at this rpm. If you find that it goes over the max, you may want to consider going up in pitch depending on how far over. 100-200 over personally I might leave it (****IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO DRIVES IT***) and just be aware of it and watch the rpms. Keep in mind if others use the boat, they need to be aware of that as well.

If you find that with a light load you cannot reach that range, you need to consider dropping in pitch as it will only get worse with added weight.

So my advise is to take it out with a light load and hammer down and watch the tachometer.