Jump to content

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Going back to Canada fishing for the first time in over 10 years,,, Some quesitons

Recommended Posts

Things have changed quite a bit since I was last up there.

I will be bringing my 15 year old son.

I have dug around in some of the online sites to gather some info, but I am feeling lazy and thought I would ask here to get some general answers.

I have ordered my Outdoors card and NR fishing license.

I have my sons application for a passport card ready to submit.

I have my passport card.

Are the passport cards sufficient to cross the US/Canadian borders?

Does my son need an Outdoors card?

Does my son need any fishing license? I dont believe so from what I have read.

Do I need to have his birth certificate with me to cross the border or is the passport card enough?

Whats new on bringing bait into Canada? Can we bring anything any more?

Any other goofy restrictions I should know about?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

He can fish without a license but it goes against your limit. I think that is until he is 16 then he needs a license and card.

If mom isn't coming, have a letter from her saying she knows about it and approves.

Bait hasn't changed in years. Crawlers are the only live bait you can bring but they have to be in bedding only. No dirt, moss or anything organic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As was said, if you want your son to keep a limit he will need the card and the license (just like in Minnesota.) You can do it all on-line. You can then print out the paper with card number and license and that is all you need. Plastic card will come in the mail later.

Just make sure you know where mom is with a phone number at the time you cross but almost certainly not an issue.

Crawlers fine not packed in dirt (shredded newsprint is great.)

Have a great trip!

If he has a passport card, birth certificate is NOT necessary. FYI this is a US requirement, not Canada, but they will like to see his card to speed up the crossing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI, if he's 15 at the time you are going he is not required to have a passport, that kicks in for the U.S. side at the age of 16, otherwise he can cross with a birth certificate and a note from Mom as stated above. Canada will let him in with the same credentials, they don't care if you have a passport or not, no matter what the age...... although it does make crossing smoother IMO.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.