• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Double Down for Crappies

Hookey

This was the title of a story in Field and Stream last month. The story was on a southern style crappie rig. The rig Top - bottom ....: reel , main line to slip bobber , about five feet under slip bobber tie a 3 way swivel with a 12 inch snell and a roadrunner jig the drop line is 8 foot long with a sinker and another road runner jig. This rig allows you to fish 2 hooks at 2 depths.

Looking at the regulations changes found on this forum is this a legal setup in the State of Mn ?

It could make for a interesting ice fishing setup.

Lastly if this setup is legal for summer use why not 2 poles. .?

NOTE: All of these Regulations Are Effective ONLY Starting on MARCH 1, 2012.

New Regulations for 2012

• Multiple hooks allowed on a single line

• Artificial lures/bait may have an additional hook

• The carcass of any fish with size restrictions consumed on water or ice

must be retained

• Labeling from purchased dead bait must be retained

• Bait buckets must have water exchanged prior to leaving any waterbody

• Drain plugs must be removed from (...)

Wait...are you saying as of now, we can have more than one hook on a single line? Can you provide a link for this? I have been pushing for more than one hook forever. They do this in Colorado.

Thanks!

NOTE: All of these Regulations Are Effective ONLY Starting on MARCH 1, 2012.

New Regulations for 2012

• Multiple hooks allowed on a single line

• Artificial lures/bait may have an additional hook

• The carcass of any fish with size restrictions consumed on water or ice

must be retained

• Labeling from purchased dead bait must be retained

• Bait buckets must have water exchanged prior to leaving any waterbody

• Drain plugs must be removed from (...)

I could be wrong but multiple hooks on one line is like a crawler harness. When you start useing 3 ways and seperate lines to hooks like what is called a Dubuque rig etc. I dont think this is legal except for waters where you can have 2 lines like the mississippi border waters.

I guess my thought is that the setup in question uses 2 artificial flys. Maybe it would be legal if it was plain hooks hand rigged without the 3way swivel.

It is definitely a 'southern' style rig, not a harness and not even comparable to a stinger arrangement.

But it does have my interest. I know I would not have the kahunas to try it unless proven legal without a doubt, we will see what the replies bring.

I play it pretty safe when it comes to regs simply cause I am a badge magnet. No joke if there is a DNR in woods in the field or on the water they always stop by to say hi. Does not bother me a bit but I do get a chuckle out of it. grin