• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Bass Opener?

NickMcD63

If you think about it, it's kind of silly that the walleye opener is in mid-May. Aren't walleye pretty much done spawning when the water is in the 40s which is usually March?

I can see them moving the walleye opener and not bass since bass could still be spawing in mid to late May depending on the spring temps.

Im not so sure. After this winter, Im willing to bet resorts would LOVE another week of full cabins and launch's

Granted, there will be some logistics that need to be worked out at resorts, but at the end of the day, more money in their pockets

I've talked to a dozen or more resorters in the Cass Lake/Leech Lake area about this, and every one was thrilled at the idea. It would be a lot of running around to get ready a week early, but for additional revenue they wouldn't have otherwise...not a big price to pay.

I'm praying the walleye opener gets moved up as I can't fish the next weekend eek

I highly doubt this will go though..

Think about all the resorts whom people have already booked for opener.. I think if they moved opener, there would be a huge outcry from the resorts.. I could be wrong though.

The resorts are already crying. Read the startribune.com article about it, a bunch of resort owners are saying they don't want it to go through.

I had not read any of the articles.. but I would think for them it would be a scheduling nightmare... I dont own a resort.. but think of all the people calling and asking to change bookings, cancel, ect... Nightmare..

Hey, I want to fish a week earlier too.. I get that.. but I have friends in the resort buis, they work their tails off.. I can see the extra weekend of filled rentals, but not the $ for the headache..

I don't see why people would need to change bookings. So the season opens a week early...what does that matter? It's not like it would change the bite or the experience of fishing the following weekend! Either way, we know the REAL opener is on the 26th wink

hey NEWJ, You can buy a daily non-resident for wisconsin. Last year it was 10 bucks. And that 10 can be applied to a full non-resident license if purchased within so many days. I went and fished one day there last year to get my fix before our opener and it was worth the 10 bucks. When is wisconsin's opener this year?

I don't see why people would need to change bookings. So the season opens a week early...what does that matter? It's not like it would change the bite or the experience of fishing the following weekend! Either way, we know the REAL opener is on the 26th wink

Agreed, all the resort guys would have to do is book 1 more week, if your booked for the weekend of the opener and they move the opener up a week, you now have the week after the opener, the date stays what it is!

What about Mille Lacs? The night ban goes into effect after the first weekend. I will be fishing a bass tourney May 5 and 6. If the walleye season opens early, Can I fish at night May 12?

Everyone refers to the resorts having a bad winter and their income is way down. Majority of the resorts need to close for the season and winterize the resort for preventative winter related issues, primarily the prevention of frozen water lines.

How many resorts actually cater to the ice fisherman and were effected. Overall not that many resorts rent fish houses or have a lake access to charge the fisherman to drive on the lake.

I wish the Government would figure out away for the working class to make more money just by adjusting dates.

Considering how knee jerk the MN DNR and Legislature can be I would bet that the night ban will be lifted for the May 12th weekend if the Opener is moved to the 5th.

A lot of people are going to whining about what ever happens.

Why is this such a big deal anyway?

So what if the weather has been warmer than normal, if next year there is a foot of ice on teh lake at the end of April will they delay the opener?

I just moved to Kansas from Minnesota and there's plenty that I miss from "up north living" but I appreciate being able to target all species available year round now. The opener chaos every year is ridiculous to me yet a tradition to others. However this season opener situation shakes out, good luck and don't drown.